• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twix is Poorly Again

NLENG2000

Mama Doe
Was off his food again yesterday (following serious Bloat a few weeks ago), pushing his tummy on the floor, grinding his teeth etc etc.. Took him back to the vets (who I totally trust) and she thinks there is an underlying problem but he is in too much pain to work out what exactly.. He is on Metacam, Marbocyl, Zantac and Buscopan to fend off Stasis and/or Bloat again, and the Marbocyl is to treat a possible infection. She thinks it might be Fat Necrosis that is causing the problem but won't know until she can feel around a bit more when he is in less pain.

Has anyone come across this before? Is is serious/treatable?

Thanks both. I've tried googling Fat Necrosis, but really dont understand what I am reading at all, so hoping someone on here might have come across it before and can tell me a bit more about it.

Thankfully I think we caught Twix earlier this time and he is back to eating ok this morning and has taken his meds. Got to do my first injection in ages later on tho, that will be fun!

Thanks both. I've tried googling Fat Necrosis, but really dont understand what I am reading at all, so hoping someone on here might have come across it before and can tell me a bit more about it.

Thankfully I think we caught Twix earlier this time and he is back to eating ok this morning and has taken his meds. Got to do my first injection in ages later on tho, that will be fun!

From my basic knowledge of not a lot, Fat Necrosis would be when the fatty cells break down and die.

How that happensa nd why, i have no idea, and i could bt totally wrong, but htats my interpretation :oops:

From my basic knowledge of not a lot, Fat Necrosis would be when the fatty cells break down and die.

How that happensa nd why, i have no idea, and i could bt totally wrong, but htats my interpretation :oops:

Yeah, that was my understanding from the little I found on Google, what I don't know is if it's serious, life threating and why it happens, and am I doing something wrong to cause it?

Alison, I'm really sorry to hear this again. Sending lots of vibes for Twix and hoping he soon starts to feel more comfortable. You know where I am if you want to chat/text etc.

Big hugs, keep us updated xx

If it is in the abdominal area they might be referring to panniculitis which is necrosis of the panniculus i.e. the fatty layer directly under the skin.

Another remotely related form mostly affecting cats, is steatitis or yellow fat disease mostly affecting the organs, particularly the liver.

If it is in the abdominal area they might be referring to panniculitis which is necrosis of the panniculus i.e. the fatty layer directly under the skin.

Another remotely related form mostly affecting cats, is steatitis or yellow fat disease mostly affecting the organs, particularly the liver.

Thanks for that info - do you know what the prognosis is for these conditions?

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say I hope Twix is better very soon.

Sending lots of get well vibes. xx

One of our rabbits was diagnosed with panniculitis about a year ago but I'm not totally convinced it was the case. She had a 13 day bout of stasis with a lot of subcutaneous fluids, drugs etc. which could also have been the cause of necrotic fat in her chest region. This is the thread but it doesn't have much information other than a picture of how it looked when being treated. It did not cause her much discomfort and was not in the abdomen. Some of the necrotic fat was removed surgically and the wound left open to flush with saline. After a year most of the residual lump has been re-absorbed into the body.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=216355

This is an old extract from Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. Information on rabbits starts on page 4.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2602070/pdf/yjbm00490-0109.pdf

Has Twix recently had myxi vaccine, subcutaneous fluids or s/c antibiotics administered anywhere other than around the scruff?

Just wanted to send lots of vibes for Twix - hope you get to the bottom of what caused his pain xx

Back