• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Splayed Leg

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have just taken over the care of two 11 week old baby bunnies which were the runts of a litter of 7.

Mother being a standard size bun dad a giant, that is all I was told.

Over the past few week one has put on weight and is getting on well, the other who is a real runt ( I hate that word ) has not grown or appears to have put on weight at all. He is as big as my hand and has a spalyed leg (deformed leg and hip) back leg. He eats for Britain and runs around and jumps on top of his house. His poos are large and full of fibre.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced this and any tips on how I can get him to put on weight. I have booked him in to the vets Monday to see what we can do about his leg/hip and to see where we go from here. He is such a happy little sole and deserves every chance.

Any advice would be appreciated

Maureen

I guess Hugo's There is the person to talk to. :)
He might be more likely to get arthritis and perhaps sores due to his leg, so it might be something you have to watch and may need long term painkillers in due time.
The weight could be something internal, perhaps kidney problems? :(

When you get to the bottom of his problems you should be able to monitor them and treat him as needed. While he's happy he should every chance. :wave:

Sadly with 'failure to thrive' kits there is often internal issues as well as those which can be seen. Personally I would not make any drastic dietary changes, assuming you are feeding a Breeder/grower pellet feed + ad lib hay. Trying to bulk a baby Bun up by feeding a lot of carbohydrates and/or too much protein will just result in gut problems. Giving some Fibreplex may help him utilise nutrients more efficiently.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small...texin-Fibreplex-for-Rabbits-15ml-Syringe.html

Good luck at the Vets xx

Sadly with 'failure to thrive' kits there is often internal issues as well as those which can be seen. Personally I would not make any drastic dietary changes, assuming you are feeding a Breeder/grower pellet feed + ad lib hay. Trying to bulk a baby Bun up by feeding a lot of carbohydrates and/or too much protein will just result in gut problems. Giving some Fibreplex may help him utilise nutrients more efficiently.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small...texin-Fibreplex-for-Rabbits-15ml-Syringe.html

Good luck at the Vets xx

Snowy would be a good person to ask for good advice. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?u=6209

Hi,

I have just taken over the care of two 11 week old baby bunnies which were the runts of a litter of 7.

Mother being a standard size bun dad a giant, that is all I was told.

Over the past few week one has put on weight and is getting on well, the other who is a real runt ( I hate that word ) has not grown or appears to have put on weight at all. He is as big as my hand and has a spalyed leg (deformed leg and hip) back leg. He eats for Britain and runs around and jumps on top of his house. His poos are large and full of fibre.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced this and any tips on how I can get him to put on weight. I have booked him in to the vets Monday to see what we can do about his leg/hip and to see where we go from here. He is such a happy little sole and deserves every chance.

Any advice would be appreciated

Maureen

Snowy would be a great person to ask for good advice. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?u=6209

Good luck at the Vets xx

Totally agree with what Jane has said, with such young bunnies making changes to their diet can do more harm than good, in my experience I have found that 'runts' (hate the word too) usually stay on the small side but can go on to live happy and full lives but obviously need monitoring, I do have to ask the question though...why on earth was a normal female mated with a giant male?

I have also looked after several bunnies with splay legs and they have done amazingly well, it certainly doesn't stop them from being active and doing everything 'normal' bunnies do, the only thing they can't do is scratch themselves

Good luck at the vets and keep us updated

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice,firstly the mating took place through wire the owner did not realise that this would not stop them:?:?

I have him ( I think ) on junior rabbit excel he loves it and it is a small pellet like him!..He eats hay all day long and his poos are massive. He has been introduced to veggies and loves them ( I'v done this slowly one at a time).

He seems to be able to scratch himself which I was amazed at. I'm seeing the practice owner at my request and if he thinks it would be best to do an xray to see where his bones are I'm prepared to pay so that I can get some form of definitive answer to the problem. I will get him on the scales as well and will let you know.

Fingers crossed

Maureen

Sorry for delay,

He was 500g when put on the scales,he has had an x ray which shows that the main bone from the hip is growing bowed. This could have been damaged when born or by a knock.

He is a happy little chap and the RSPCA have agreed to now take them on but I will continue to foster until a new home can be found.

Maureen

Back