• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

do i or dont i?

jody

Alpha Buck
Any feelings on using rearguard or any flystrike treatment?
some people do some dont? i dont want to risk the buns health but hate using chemicals too.
Also is there anything for buns hutch as a repellent?:wave:

My thoughts are this.If Bun is healthy, not overweight, has no teeth problems and hygeine is good, Bun shouldnt need any of these chemicals
I use some citronella oil in a few squirts of water to keep flies away.
I hate flies with a passion.Every bunny mummys nightmare.

My thoughts are this.If Bun is healthy, not overweight, has no teeth problems and hygeine is good, Bun shouldnt need any of these chemicals
I use some citronella oil in a few squirts of water to keep flies away.
I hate flies with a passion.Every bunny mummys nightmare.

i would only rearguard those animals who are at risk. like overweight bunnies, or elderly ones that cant get round.
i think a clean hutch is a much better repellent! but my old bunny got flystrike 2 years ago after a bought of diarrhoea mixed with arthritis making sure he couldnt clean himself. i checked him last thing at night and by 6.30am it had all kicked off and i was speeding to the vets with him.

i would only rearguard those animals who are at risk. like overweight bunnies, or elderly ones that cant get round.
i think a clean hutch is a much better repellent! but my old bunny got flystrike 2 years ago after a bought of diarrhoea mixed with arthritis making sure he couldnt clean himself. i checked him last thing at night and by 6.30am it had all kicked off and i was speeding to the vets with him.

:cry::cry::( Flystrike is awful! my buns are young and healthy and yes totally agree on extra hutch cleaning.

I will be treating Mae (and probably Sebastian with the left over stuff) but I dont know when to do it, I have 2 bottles :?

I am treating 1 of my 6, I am treating him because he is only 5 months old and when he was a baby he had a prolapse rectum... as far as i know it is better but I can't be sure if it is prolapsing and then taking itself back in or not really quickly so I just don't see it so I will rearguard him this year just incase. I am not sure when to start though.

I would only treat high risk bunnies. But saying that if they are incontinent etc and need regular washing there is no point as you just wash the stuff of every time any way

i will be treating all of mine this year. mainly due to dora being off on incontinent after her ec, and becasue they are all older, in saying that iv been doing all my bunnies regardless since having 2 bunnies who got fly strike one had a slightly sticky bum that day (still dont know why) and the other i guess was next to her? we were lucky to catch it very early when maggots had just hatched and though buns were sore after immediate vetinary treatment both bunnies survived.

Back