• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growling, lunging and clawing after spay :(

lexxiesmith

Young Bun
My little girl had her spay yesterday and when I got her home around 4ish I
put her straight in her pet and let her have warmth, darkness and quiet.
Gave her her food and checked she was peeing and pooping fine - which she is.

This morning I've come down to see her and give her a tickle and she's going MAD at me. Won't let me near her - is growling, lunging and scratching at me :( - she never ever, ever bites and she's tried a couple of times this morning when I put her food in, this is TOTALLY out of character for her :?
I'm not sure what I've done wrong :( is it just her way of telling me to pee-off?
I thought a spay was supposed to make bun buns calmer - and we seem to have done a 360 :(

Last edited:
My little girl had her spay yesterday and when I got her home around 4ish I
put her straight in her pet and let her have warmth, darkness and quiet.
Gave her her food and checked she was peeing and pooping fine - which she is.

This morning I've come down to see her and give her a tickle and she's going MAD at me. Won't let me near her - is growling, lunging and scratching at me :( - she never ever, ever bites and she's tried a couple of times this morning when I put her food in, this is TOTALLY out of character for her :?
I'm not sure what I've done wrong :( is it just her way of telling me to pee-off?
I thought a spay was supposed to make bun buns calmer - and we seem to have done a 360 :(

You have to realise, a spay is a truly invasive operation for a doe. SHe might be in pain. Were you given any pain relief to take home with you? If not, i'd suggest you contact your vet to ask for some.

Hormones will take ~6 weeks to calm down fully after a spay, so you may find she's being defensive because she doesnt feel good.

Let us know :wave:

Oh no, I do realise. I don't suppose I'd want anyone fussing over me if I'd just been cut apart to have my ovaries ripped out.
I just asked because of how out of character is it for her. So what you're saying is it is her was of telling me to pee-off then? Like I asked in the OP?
Yes I have pain relief and gut stimulant.

You have to realise, a spay is a truly invasive operation for a doe. SHe might be in pain. Were you given any pain relief to take home with you? If not, i'd suggest you contact your vet to ask for some.

Hormones will take ~6 weeks to calm down fully after a spay, so you may find she's being defensive because she doesnt feel good.

Let us know :wave:

Agreed - she will be very uncomfortable from the op. Hope she did come home with pain relief?

I agree she's probably uncomfortable and in pain. Do you know how much pain relief they gave her and what time? If not give them a ring and check when you can give her some more.

Oh no, I do realise. I don't suppose I'd want anyone fussing over me if I'd just been cut apart to have my ovaries ripped out.
I just asked because of how out of character is it for her. So what you're saying is it is her was of telling me to pee-off then? Like I asked in the OP?
Yes I have pain relief and gut stimulant.

Basically, yeah. She's telling you, in the only way she knwos how to 'sod off and leave me alone, im not feeling well' :) Thats actually, in my eyes a good thing, as she feels strong enough to fight you.

Keep up with the pain relief and gut stimulant and monitor input/output and contact the vets again if she's not doing well :)

Keep us informed, loads of vibes for your little lady.

Thanks everyone, and cheers Graham.
That's what I thought it would be :roll: - poor little mite.
I last gave her metacam at 9am this morning, so it should be kicking in around now -- and I've just let her out of the pen to free run and she's running around like a loon, peeing and pooping everywhere. So I'm guessing she's doing well?
As you say, probably wants to just go about it all herself without me fussing :oops:

Thanks everyone, and cheers Graham.
That's what I thought it would be :roll: - poor little mite.
I last gave her metacam at 9am this morning, so it should be kicking in around now -- and I've just let her out of the pen to free run and she's running around like a loon, peeing and pooping everywhere. So I'm guessing she's doing well?
As you say, probably wants to just go about it all herself without me fussing :oops:

Ah - you should really keep her fairly contained for a day or so after the op, as she might damage the wound - did she have stitches or disolveable sutures?

ETA: she cant be feeling *too* bad if she's running around like a maniac!

The room she is in is huge and the pen she is in is not, so I have allowed her to have a run around. There's nothing in here for her to climb on or catch herself in/on/around.
I thought it would be a good thing to allow her some freedom.
She had stitches.

Back