• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple??

MichG

Mama Doe
Sorry to have to post on here but my computer is not working properly. I cannot search RU or the internet for this info. For some reason the only thing that is working is RU :?:shock:

Basically I know fresh pineapple is good for buns but is tinned?
I have a tin of crushed pineapple in pineapple juice with no added sugar. Can I feed this to them?

If anyone can help at all that would be great!!

Hi there,

I was just about to come and post about apple/pear branches etc so that great! How long can the branches hang around after being cut?
Ive got a lady that has offered me some prunings but there is no point taking much if it has to be fresh. If it can be stored then how and how long does it last etc?
thanksx

Pineapple is very high in sugar and is not really an appropriate food for a Rabbit.
Fresh pineapple is the only form that would provide the enzyme (bromelain) that *might* assist in the breaking down of furballs. However, the jury is still very much out on that one and generally the sugars in pineapple are more likely to cause problems than any supposed benefits bromelain may provide.

So in short, no, I would not feed tinned pineapple, or fresh for that matter, to a Rabbit :)

I agree with Jack's Jane - my vet also said about the high sugar content in fresh pineapple being a bit of a sticking point in the argument about the 'furball' treatment.

Last edited:
Thanks for that :) Good job I didn't use it then! I had heard that it can be a good probiotic (read it on a website) and Jack is on Septrin at the mo but won't take his bio-lapis, he is also an Angora going through moult so I wondered if that was a good thing to use or not.

I shall keep with the many different ways I keep trying to get the bio-lapis down him!

Back