• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting bunnies

gem0688

New Kit
Please can anyone help ....

I have to female Netherland Dwarfs who are from the same litter. They have just turned 1 year old. They were spayed when they were around 6 months old. They have always been the best of friends..... but now they seem to be fighting all the time.

We went away for a few days and they went to stay at a bunny hotel place where they were kept in an indoor cage inside a shed. They had the run of the shed in the day, but at night there was a male rabbit staying in another cage in the shed. When they were there the bigger of my two rabbits starting to chase and bite the smaller one. She gave them more space at night by giving them a pen attached at night and they seemed to clam down.

When we got them home the fighting seems to have carried on. The bigger rabbit chased the smaller one round and round the cage and pulled out fur. Now the smaller one thumps everytime she comes near. Or sometimes the smaller one goes up to the otherone nose to nose (as if she is stareing her out) then suddenly thumps, jumps and runs away. Sometimes the smaller rabbit gives out a noise (like a little snort).

Then sometimes i go in and they are sitting together and licking each other.

I thought that once they were spayed they were usually fine. Please has anyone got any suggestions on how to stop the fighting? I really don't want them to fall out!!

First off have you felt over them really carefully for any injures/wounds? Also maybe a checkup at the vet, sometimes a bond can break when one of them becomes ill.

How much space do they both have 24-7?

It sounds like they need to be re-bonded to me. I would guess that one of your girls got referred aggression being in close contact with another rabbit:?

Either way if they are fighting, I would separate them until you have the time to re-bond them. If the fighting gets really bad, serious injury could happen. Rabbits can be flipping nasty when they want.

I would guess that you would need to get a small cage that is neutral to both of them and keep them in it for a few days until the fighting/chasing stops. Intervene if they latch on to each other or any injures occur. Then increase the space gradually, making sure you have neutralized it before hand. When there are no scuffles increase the space a wee bit again. Continue until they have the normal amount of space. If any fighting does occurs take them back a step (decrease space).

Vinegar is a good anti scent-er.

I am sure someone will be here to correct any mistakes I have made or fill in any gaps:oops:

Good luck:)

Thanks for your reply! :)

At the moment they are still indoors mainly (They have become winter indoor bunnies!) so they have a fairly large indoor cage and then when we are here we open it up and let them run anround our front room.

They also have a double storey hutch outside, with a run attached which we let them in when we are here to keep an eye on them. They will soon be back outside permantley, once i have the fighting issue sorted! :)

I have spent a bit of time with them this morning, locked the indoor cage up, clamed them both down, sat them next to each other and given them strokes, also put in some other toys so it is a bit different for them and they are currently snuggled up in the corner sleeping with the occasional grooming session going on.

I have been in the room all morning keeping an eye on them, so now i just hope that the good behaviour continues once i leave the room.

Should i try letting them out for a little run around the room later then and see how they react when we put them back in their cage for the night?

Thanks again!

xx :)

If you want to try and re-bond them I would leave them enclosed in the cage for a few days and then increase space gradually.

Ok, well as soon as i went out the room they started the chasing and biting, so it didn't last long! I have seperated them for a little while, because i am scared they will really go for each other when i go out. Is that a good idea or should i be leaving them together and let the chasing continue?

Should i clean the cage and toys and everything and start from fresh? Would that get rid of any teritorial marks .... or will that make them fight even more as they try and put their marks back on it?

Thanks!
xx

Oh ... and they were being really destructive in the cage, burowing and kicking hay and sawdust everywhere, tossing toys everywhere, chewing and ripping toys apart .... does that give any clues?

Thanks

Hey, I am going to put a link up in rabbit chat asking some help if that's OK?

I would personally separate and start from scratch, but I think a second opinion is needed:oops::lol:

Ok, yes that is fine please do. :) I would be grateful for any help!

Its just since they came back from staying away, they were fine before!

Bunny bonding ... here i come! :)

Thanks again for all your help!

xx

You know you said vinegar was good to use as an anti scenter, so to neutralise the cage, do you clean the cage first, then put on vinegar and then wipe off, or do you leave it on?

Thanks, just thinking of neutralising the area!

xx

I always scrub the cage so it is super clean. Then this is where I get silly:oops: There is a ratio of water to vinegar, I think its half and half, I use it neat. My house ends up stinking of a chip shop:oops:

I tend to spray it on and let it dry. V.stinky but works a treat.

It's distilled white vinegar too, I think:) Apparently not malt, and Wilkos sells it cheap too.

Ok ..... cage all cleaned out and with vinegar too! New toys to keep them occupied and amused ..... lets see how this turns out!

Fingers crossed it works

xx

Back