• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eric - help please u/d been to vets

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
he was fine earlier but has left his tea. not even touched his pellets - and refused a crunchie:(

i've managed to get some metacam into him - how long does that take to kick in?

this happened on saturday too as i'd been out on friday night. today i was out from 11am til 4.30pm. as i said, he was fine before tea but since 6.30 he's been lying down etc.

i'm hoping he'll pick up as i have no faith at all in my emergency vet but obviously, if needs be, i will be over there.

help please.

Last edited:
I don't know about the metacam, but am sending lots of vibes for your little man. Get nomming Eric. :love:

i got excited cos he hopped into his tray buy he's just lying there now:( just been told that first thing this morning he seemed to be having trouble with his nose.....:shock:? great time to tell me:evil: he hasn't been sneezing or constantly grooming at all in my presence so god knows whats going on.

i wish my real vet was still open:cry:

Oh no poor Eric, not again :( He really does NOT like it when you go out does he? :shock:
I *think* metacam takes a couple of hours to have full effect.
Have you tried tummy massages and syringing him some cooled boiled water. Might help soothe his tummy abit.
Loads and loads of vibes xxxxxxxxxx

in all honesty gemma, its getting to the stage where i'm scared to go out. today i was out only during his sleepy time and he was normal when i got back.

before i brought his tea in, he was sniffing at his dish as if waiting for it.

how can this happen?

eta, i felt his tum but it felt ok. now he looks like he's straining to 'go':?

if only we could tell for sure what causes it :(

Holly took longer to respond to metacam than Alvin because she refused water and gripe water!! so if you can get water and gripe water into him as well as chasing about he should perk up.. this one is probably connected to the one that just happened but if your still worried tomorrow when your proper vet is open get them to check him over, i do this with alvin now.. wait till ive got him eating then go to the vets for a once over xxx

he will be going to my real vet tomorrow - i've just found the emergency number out too though.

with eric its the risk of stressing him by taking him or how long do i wait at home for him to eat - or not to eat?

in all honesty gemma, its getting to the stage where i'm scared to go out. today i was out only during his sleepy time and he was normal when i got back.

before i brought his tea in, he was sniffing at his dish as if waiting for it.

how can this happen?

eta, i felt his tum but it felt ok. now he looks like he's straining to 'go':?

Hmm could the straining be a sign of a UTI, like cystitis? Has he had anything like that before?
Id definatly try and get some water down him if you can and obviously keep tempting him with noms, keep him moving etc.
What was wrong with his nose btw?? X

I have no advice more than has already been offered, just wanted to send vibes. I think you will know if it seems more serious rather than just out of sorts. I really hope he picks up soon.

Oh Poor Eric. Come on gorgeous boy - eat some pellets xx
I would also try and syringe some water into him if you can. And encourage him to run around.
Lots of tummy rubs, but to be honest, if the metacam hasn't worked soon, I would get him to the vets. It usually works in about an hour with mine.
What a worry for you - I have been there a few times myself and I feel for you

Last edited:
phoned emergency vet....
(quote):
good i've given him metacam as it can't do him any harm.
need to syringe feed him baby food or pureed carrots.
rabbits need to eat.
they can get bloat.
lie him on a hot water bottle.
if he becomes listless bring him in or bring him in anyway to be checked or see your vet soon.

errrrr, thanks.

eric doesn't eat carrots. i don't have a baby. i do have a sachet of recovery food so i've just managed to squirt a couple of ml in him/on him which he's cleaned off. got the water at the ready too but its stressed him out syringing him twice tonight already.

i've blocked off his difficult to access (for me) hidey holes and laid the futon out as i fear we're in for a long night.......

he has done one poo. normal size.

Last edited:
Could be that his cecum has become impacted. Is he drinking ?

he's hopping about now - more out of temper i think - so i think the metacam has kicked in.

how quickly can an impaction build? this morning's poops were lovely, as was his appetite.

Back