• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update, still not eating much after castration, please help VERY worried :(

lexxiesmith

Young Bun
Hi, just after some more advice really on what to do about my boy and whether how he is acting is normal?

He had his castration on Thursday and has gone from eating nothing at all, to visiting the vets three times for pain-relief injections and gut-stimulant.
Now three days on, he is only JUST nibbling... He is grazing on hay, grass and has had a few teeny tiny chunks of cucumber and apple over the past 2 days. He still hasn't touched his pellets and won't have any of his favourite banana still.
He is pooping (very small and very black none the less) and peeing okay and is extremely alert -- he is still trying to hump my arm that he can smell my girl bun on (they're being kept separately).
Is this normal?

I have made the decision to put him back outdoors in his normal hutch with two snuggle safe pads for warmth if he needs it, in the vain hope that he will settle better in a 'normal' environment and maybe eat a little more.

Aside from taking him back to the vets tomorrow, I'm not sure what else I can do. Does this all sound okay? Or should he really eb wolfing down food by now? :cry: I'm so frightened I'm going to lose him... You guys don't think I will, do you?

Last edited:
That sounds slow to me but I only have experience with two buns being neutered (one M, one F) and they bounced back quite normally.

I would go back to the vets tomorrow, as you say. It may be you need to start syringe feeding him too - as well as being hungry, poor little thing, his digestive system will be slowing down. See what the vets say.

In the meantime, just keep tempting him as best you can. I find fresh herbs are the best: you can wave them under his nose until he's so annoyed he takes a chomp ;) Coriander and fresh leaf parsley work with mine. And maybe some probiotic in his water (is he drinking?).

Thanks for your replies :)
He had his last lot of pain relief on Saturday morning at around 10.30am.
I have been attempting to syringe him some recovery paste the vets provided and also baby food, both of which he spits out and most ends up on his head... :oops:
I spent a sound £30 on veggies, fruit and herbs from tescos to try and temp him to eat but with very little luck :(

Vets tomorrow morning I guess.

I had the same problem with my nethies :( Took Ben 2 days after his neuter and Timmy 4 days to start eating again. Its so scary when that happens :( Eating vibes for your boy!

I hope your bun starts eating better soon my girl didn't start eating properly until the 4th day after her spay it was really hard to get her eating I was having to syringe feed her about 5 times a day, she is a fussy eater and wouldn't at the fresh herbs I bought her. Try your boy on some bramble leaves thats what my girl seemed to want to eat.

The vets kept him in yesterday as over the past 3days he had lost quite a bit of weight :(
Hopefully my beauty will be back this afternoon as they have said he is nibbling a lot more than he had been.
I do hope the journey home and moving into another environment doesn't stress him too much and he continues munching :love:

I'm so sorry he's taking such awhile to get round to eating. When you get him home try feeding with a dandelions, plantain & blackberry leaves.

Do it little by little, by putting them one at a time infront of his nose. In my expereince they usually get fed up with it being waved infront of them and snatch it away and eat it.

Hope this works for you and he starts eating normally very soon.

My bunny had to have two operations within the space of 2 weeks and he too was off his food, i think the pain relief tends to upset them. I have tried the emergency care powder before and i agree it is a nightmare.

Try some cooked mush veg or if all else fails a few treats (I find yoghurt drops help) that my kick start the eatting. They can be little monkeys when they want to be. But if your worried try the vet again.

Back