• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternative litter?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Hello!

I have a gorgeous 18 month old French Lop who I rescued about 3 weeks ago. She is based in a double bedroom when I am not at home but has free run of the house when we are here.

She has a huge litter tray which she uses really well BUT she makes so much mess. Her paws are so big and furry that the megazorb/woodchips/hay sticks to her feet and it is walked everywhere. I change the litter tray every evening but this doesn't help with the mess. :?

Does anybody use an alternative litter (that doesn't make so much mess) for their rabbits? If so, please let me know. ;)

Thanks

Tanya :D

Wood litter. Or wood based cat litter it's called.
And get a deeper litter tray, such as an under bed storage box. She's a big bunny I'm sure she can jump in and out if my dwarf lop can :)

I too find under bed storage boxes really good for my Flemish giant girl who needs lots of litter tray space.
Her husbun is a Nethie & he happily springs in & out of this style of litter tray too.
I find them less messy & both buns can happily sit in there together.
We don't really have much litter choice here so I use a little recycled paper cat litter & lots of meadow hay on top.
Sometimes they sort of swim around in the hay & it still doesn't make too much mess.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. She has a deep litter tray already, so I will get some new litter for her later! ;)

Back