• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking ALOT of water U/D 13th Feb

Pie

Warren Veteran
I have noticed since Ive been back that Pie is drinking alot of water. I mean anything between 300mls and 500mls in a 24hr period! :shock: She is a (almost) 2 yr old small mini lop, I have no scales so not sure how much she weighs but I can clearly feel her spine - don't think that is normal!? :?
She is still very lively, eating lots of hay, gets a small tablespoon of pellets twice daily and some fresh greens washed in water during the day.
I think she is peeing alot too but need to monitor this more closely I think. Not sure on the colour of her urine though.

I've read something about kidney problems and UTI's being associated with excess drinking & weeing, but she is showing absolutely no signs of pain or discomfort.
Anyone else had experience with this before too?
Is a trip to the vets in order?

Thanks in advance :wave:

Last edited:
Could be Kidney's. Could also be initial stages of EC!
Inca drank a lot of water just before she got really ill with EC.
Hope it is neither.

I've excessive drinking (and urinating) with two of my bunnies. One is quite skinny and tests show he has kidney impairment. The other bunny has EC.

I would take Pie to the vets and explain and hopefully they will start tests.

Ok, think it's a definite vet trip then.
Poor little thing, she's already been through so much with her bouts of stasis. :(

This screams kidney problems to me. I would get to the vet asap. Hope it's not , but last time i had this feeling the cat concerned died. I think with rabbits it is slightly different and can be different causes, but yes veterinary attention is required.

Thanks Ambience. I have noticed she drinks hardly anything at night either (or rather, the normal amount for a bun her size). She is very good at letting me know when she is in pain or discomfort but there have been no signs what so ever, she's here hoovering up hay as I type. :/

Thanks everyone, will update when I know whats going on. :wave:

Update 13th Feb

Well we had an emergency vet trip yesterday!

Was due to go see a rescue bun at 4:30 and by 4pm Pie was not looking right. Sitting in front of me backed into a corner looking VERY uncomfortable, constantly moving, didnt want head rubs or hugs (very unusual for her) and wasn't even interested in a few pellets - classic stasis symptoms.
OH went to make an emergency appointment at the vets while I wet into the bedroom with her, she was doing this sort of retching motion, then tried to wee where she was sitting while 'retching' - this had us panicking quite a bit.

So, off to the vets, saw brilliant vet nurse and vet. Went through everything, weight, teeth, heart rate, stomach - all fine. No sign of bloat or anything. :roll:
He thinks it might be her kidney's, cystitis or diabetes's. She is on fibreplex, zantac & baytril for a week or so.

Now we also need to take a urine sample, we have some katkor as she is littler trained, problem is her 'litter tray' is a 3ft indoor cage! :roll:
We have smaller litter trays too, how would I go about using the katkor? Shall I put it in a small litter tray in the corner she normally wee's in?

Sorry Pie got poorly but hope she is on the mend and more comfortable now.

I have no idea about the Katkor, sorry. Hope you get to the bottom of things for her. Keep us posted. x

Back