• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Romaine Lettuce

puppyjess12345

Mama Doe
Well for quite a few weeks I havent been able to find spring greens so for the time being I substitued romaine lettuce in as their main 'leafy green' so I was just wondering: is this better for them? As in the nutritional content are they the same, because I must of heard somewhere lettuce isn't as good for them?

Thanks guys :)

I think you'll find mixed opinion this one. It was described as Spenser's favourite food by his previous owner. He did eat romaine lettuce at first, but went off it. I might try it again as he has now gone off spring greens - they are obviously out of season and don't look very appetising. I think most lettice isn't good for buns, but romaine is OK.

I think you'll find mixed opinion this one. It was described as Spenser's favourite food by his previous owner. He did eat romaine lettuce at first, but went off it. I might try it again as he has now gone off spring greens - they are obviously out of season and don't look very appetising. I think most lettice isn't good for buns, but romaine is OK.

Hmmm ok, so I take it your trying to say spring greens are better?

Anyone else? :wave:

Hi!:wave:

Probably not much help here...i dont feed lettuce at all.....I try & stick to "wild" foods...or other types of plants...mine harldy get veges at all as their tums get upset.....and its not what they would probably choose in the wild and if they did it would def. be in addition to a more natural diet......could you not try bramble leaves / strawberry leaves / rose leaves?;):wave:

I give some to Oscar occasionally, but only because we usually get it in for ourselves and to give him a bit of variety!

Hi!:wave:

Probably not much help here...i dont feed lettuce at all.....I try & stick to "wild" foods...or other types of plants...mine harldy get veges at all as their tums get upset.....and its not what they would probably choose in the wild and if they did it would def. be in addition to a more natural diet......could you not try bramble leaves / strawberry leaves / rose leaves?;):wave:

Well, I dont know where I could find strawberry and rose leaves, but I could probably find bramble leaves somewhere. What bit do you feed, aren't the leaves like spiky? :shock: I'd be worried they'd sting themselves :oops:

Hmmm ok, so I take it your trying to say spring greens are better?

Anyone else? :wave:

Sorry, my rambling weren't very clear. I don't know if spring greens are nutritionally better, just that they seem to be a more common basic veg for buns among RU owners.

Well, I dont know where I could find strawberry and rose leaves, but I could probably find bramble leaves somewhere. What bit do you feed, aren't the leaves like spiky? :shock: I'd be worried they'd sting themselves :oops:

Hey!
Well - you could just cut a branch off & give it to them...they dont seem to mind the thorns and wil munch the branches too...OR you could just cut the leaves off in triangular shapes off the branch so you cut the main leaf vein out - leaveing you with just the leaf.
I did this at first - mainly as I didnt want to thorn myself when I picked a handful out the bags...it worked really great & I didnt have to worry about the buns getting thorns in them...however it does take ages:roll:...so I also have some that I just cut the bundle of leaves off the branches...thorns & all..the buns dont mind...but if I see a nasty looking thorn - I do break the leaf off....to be fair I think buns are sensible...but of course what ever makes us feel at ease for them safety wise is fine too!:wave:

Make sure you pick the leaves that are high up - away from any wee areas! Also if you can get them away from main roads where alot of pollution may have been absorbed!:wave:

Back