• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boy With Poorly Foot :(

Sofi

Warren Scout
IMAG0164-1.jpg

This is Bellamy... he went to the vets about a week ago and was told he had a callus on his hind foot on his heel. We have been told to apply vaseline and we have been doing so for the past few days (even though he does not like it :roll:) but this is to soften the hard lump.. thing is, even when it is completely soft, it won't get rid of it, will it? does anyone know any other ways to treat it or knows how it will reduce in size and eventually go?

Thank you xxx

Is it just a pink callous? No bleeding/cracking/broken skin?

Pink callouses on the heels 'hocks' are quite normal and quite common and nothing to worry about. They can turn into pododermatitis (sore hocks) but it doesn't sound like this is what Bellamy has at all.

In which case I would apply NOTHING to it. Softening the skin is the last thing you want to do as this will make the skin more prone to friction and pressure and more liable to cracking - letting in infection, creams also squash the surrounding fur which is actually doing a very good job of protecting it from getting worse. No it won't go away but keeping the nails short as possible and providing bunny with somewhere deeply padded/soft in the places he likes to sit on his haunches/rest up is the best way to prevent it getting worse. Plenty of exercise and keeping the weight off, and making sure bun never sits in soiled litter is also very helpful.

thank you :) he was limping but seems to have improved. you're right about it squashing the fur down so i think i'll leave it off. xxx

thank you :) he was limping but seems to have improved. you're right about it squashing the fur down so i think i'll leave it off. xxx

If he is limping he may be in pain and need a short course of low dose NSAID's :wave: It will help settle any inflammation as well.

Back