• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matilda not gaining weight!

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
She is 4-5months old, female, mini lop, but she hasn't really gained much weight, weighed her just now and she is 1.330g, is that okay for her age can anyone tell me roughly what weight they should be for her ages and when shes fully grown,we think she is the runt,

she has daily pellets and hay, with abit of greens, but greens give her a runny bum.

she dosen't look skinny, but just worried she should be abit fatter than she is

any ideas?? x

i would say that is fine or her age a mini lops weight is usually 1.3-1.6kg purebreed

they tend to fill out more from 6months

what pellets do you feed?

ive just weighed my 13 and half week old mini lop she is exactly 1kg, i think the wieght your bunny is is fine, as long as she is happy and healthy in herself, i wouldn;t worry :wave:

My Sooty is 4.5 years old - at her heaviest she weighs 1.4kg but 1.2kg to 1.3kg is her normal weight range. She is very petite though.

She's down to 1kg at the moment, having been poorly/stressed, but is eating like crazy so hopefully will show some weight gain at her next weigh-in.

If she doesn't look underweight then follow that. You should only follow her size and shape for what is a good weight for her, not what the average should be for her breed because that's like saying 'how tall should a person be?', which obviously varies individual to individual.

Her weight sounds about right, but it's very hard to judge by weight alone as all mini lops vary in size. What's 'normal weight' for one would be under or over weight for another.

You should be able to feel her spine and ribs but they shouldn't be too prominent either.

When was the last time she was weighed and what did she weigh then?

I think she's probably nearing the age when growth rate slows down a lot too. Bubbles was about the same age as Matilda when we got her and grew very little after that.

If she doesn't look underweight then follow that. You should only follow her size and shape for what is a good weight for her, not what the average should be for her breed because that's like saying 'how tall should a person be?', which obviously varies individual to individual.

Totally agree with this. One of my dwarf lops is twice the size of the other but neither is over or under weight, ones just small.

Back