• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scan

Lil & Ron's Mum

Warren Scout
Lilly has to go for a scan (like pregnant women have) as she still has lots of blood in her urine.
She has been on antibiotics now for 4 weeks.
Has anybody elses bun had a scan, did they find anything out?

Xray or ultrasound? :wave:

Xrays can be done consciously or unconsciously (under GA) but tend not to show up a great deal of soft tissue/organs in great detail.

Ultrasounds are much better for soft tissues but really need an experienced eye to interpret them correctly i.e. an exotic vet

Xray or ultrasound? :wave:

Xrays can be done consciously or unconsciously (under GA) but tend not to show up a great deal of soft tissue/organs in great detail.

Ultrasounds are much better for soft tissues but really need an experienced eye to interpret them correctly i.e. an exotic vet

Ultra sound scan, she was only under GA a while ago at FHBrown's so i said i'd try the ultrasound scan, they said they would be able to see if she has an abscess or anything else. Just don't want to leave her and make her stressed if the scans are a waste of time.

Ultra sound scan, she was only under GA a while ago at FHBrown's so i said i'd try the ultrasound scan, they said they would be able to see if she has an abscess or anything else. Just don't want to leave her and make her stressed if the scans are a waste of time.

I'm sure FHB knows exactly what she is doing. You have no cause for concern there. She is one of the best vets in the country for rabbits and i'm sure she would not suggest an ultrasound if it wasn't necessary or helpful to her diagnosis. Good luck x

I'm sure FHB knows exactly what she is doing. You have no cause for concern there. She is one of the best vets in the country for rabbits and i'm sure she would not suggest an ultrasound if it wasn't necessary or helpful to her diagnosis. Good luck x

We went to FHB with a different illness as our vets were stumped what to do with Lil, this scan is at our normal vets.
Lilly seems to have one problem after another, i think she has more lives than a cat.
I'd take her to FHB all the time if we lived nearer but its a stress to Lil travelling all that way there and back.
And as you say she is the BEST vet out there.
She is booked in on Thurs so fingers crossed she stops having bloody wee wee (doubt it tho as she has been like it for 4 weeks).

I have two going for scans next Weds!:D

Parsnip bun, how did you get on with your scans yesterday??
We dropped Lil off this morning, they tried to scan her later on but her bladder was empty so they wanted her to stay longer, but they dont have ezzi-filla bottles, so dropped supplies off for her. Then they rang up at 5ish to say her bladder was full but then wee'd all over the examination table.
So bless her she has to stay in (which i didnt want)
If they havnt done it by lunch tomorrow i'm going to go bring her home.
It could go on for days like this!!
Did they find anything out with yours?? was it good news??

Sorry I'm so late. Thumper had an ultrasound scan for his caecum which wasn't filling last year. He didn't need a GA for it & took it in his stride. He just needed some fur shaved fom his tummy (not usual) cos it was so thick.

It's a far better way to visualise soft tissues than XR. It was the only way we could confirm that there was no movement in his caecum at all, & that the wall was thickened.

Dropped Lil of at 9am yesterday, they rang to say that her bladder wasnt full enough, then they rang to say that it was but wee'd while they were starting the scan. So she ended up staying the night. They couldnt find any abscess or tumors, and said it must be bad cystitis, so is on 2 drops of metacam everyday. Nice to have her back home.

That's really good news that there's no abcess or tumours although I understand you are still left with the problem. I'm sure that the metacam will be really helpful both in reducing the inflammation, bleeding & discomfort. This should improve her bladder capacity & continence :)

A few owners have found that cranberries as a treat help cystitis. They don't stop the infection, but seem to help to prevent it. They are as effective dry as fresh. ;)

Please keep us updated.

She has 20mls of cranberry juice mixed with 20mls water every morning which she drinks down in one session without coming up for air, which i can put any medication in i.e antibiotics/metacam, so she never knows shwe has had it.
And she also has the berries them selves as treats.:lol:

She has 20mls of cranberry juice mixed with 20mls water every morning which she drinks down in one session without coming up for air, which i can put any medication in i.e antibiotics/metacam, so she never knows shwe has had it.
And she also has the berries them selves as treats.:lol:

Wow you've done everything possible :thumb:
I like the dilute juice, because it'll help to keep the wee flowing & flush out a lot of bacteria.

I think that it's so important to tell people on RU about these simple things we can do, which help the meds to work more effectively. It's not written down anywhere. Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you both all the best, & please let us know how she gets on.

How is Lilly?

She is still weeing red wee, She falls asleep in the same place every day on a puppy pad (since she had head tilt and e.c she is incontinent some times).
She has to go to the vets for her myxi soon so i am going to take a sample along with us.
She is 7?? i think she is older! drinks like a fish, eats double of what my other bun eats (the vets couldn't get over her appitite) and is a skinny little thing, no matter how many scabbie donkeys she eats.
That why i'm wondering if its a mixture of her age and that she has had e.c, which we were told she had a high strain of!!. She is wormed regularly.
I will let you know what they say when she goes!
Thanks for asking.

Back