• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peggy and Sue at the vet on Friday

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed over the last few days that Peggy and Sue are leaving some of their food and aren't rushing over to it when I feed them. Sue is definitely thinner:( Peggy constantly has a dirty bottom too and needs regular bathing.

I know that Peggy doesn't eat when I am watching (because when she stopped before she got treats to encourage her and she remembers) so I have been hiding indoors and peeping and she is eating - just not so enthusiastically.

My finances are a nightmare as I am over my overdraft limit and the bank have stopped me taking out any more money but I don't want to risk Peggy or Sue going into stasis so am going to take them to see if either need a dental. I have a friend who will lend me the money if I need it and, if it comes to too much, I also have a credit card for emergencies. I wouldn't borrow for me, but I will for the animals. It's not their fault there is a recession!!!

Vibes for neither needing a dental would be good if anyone has any spare. I know that Sue wouldn't survive an anaesthetic anyway and her weight loss is more likely to be down to her only having half a kidney. Am trying to find fattening food for her. I give her oats now (after reading about Morse liking them) and she does hoover those up but won't eat them wet.

I think Peggy may have arthritis and that, combined with the long fur, is why she is getting a dirty bottom. She is clearly eating because she is producing droppings which is why I haven't rushed her to the vet sooner. She seems to jump out of the hutch easily enough though whereas I struggle with stairs (I have arthritis in my knees). Peggy has the same food as Sue and Sue's bottom is fine.

I know Sue is on borrowed time but Peggy and I aren't ready yet:(:(

Thanks for the hug Gray, I really need it at the moment.

Yes, Jane, finances are a nightmare. I used to work three jobs but burnt out earlier this year and am now on a high dose of anti-depressants which mean I am sleepy a lot of the time. I have had to quit one of my jobs and reduce the hours of another which means I don't earn enough to pay my mortgage and bills:(

I will have to sell the house but it needs a lot of work doing to it - which I can't afford to get done. It will also be difficult to fnd somewhere smaller where I can take nine cats and nine bunnies - and my fur family are all that kept me going when I was at my most depressed.

Because of the government cuts one of my jobs is at risk and I may be made redundant (I am a mental health support worker).

I have a couple of days off next week and, with the help of a couple of friends, I am going to try and decorate my spare room so I can get a lodger to help me reduce my overdraft a bit. It's full of stuff so not sure where it all can go.

My main worry is my animals. I only need a huge vet bill and I will be totally stuffed. I know I shouldn't have so many animals on a low income (so please no-one have a go at me - I will just cry), but with the three jobs I was managing if I was careful - and was able to cover all the vet bills.

I did take a skirt back to Next today that I had bought in the sale and not worn and got the cash back so I found some spring greens - nice ones - in Morrisons - and my buns are happily nomming outside at the moment:D There had been a serious spring green shortage and they have not been happy bunnies!!

oh karen HUGS

im so sorry it seems likely a vet trip is going to be in order for you :(

i know what you mean about the anti depression meds....:(

is there anyway you can plead with your vets to let you set up a direct debit scheme perhaps? i know they all say they arent allowed to..but ive seen folks made the excpetion for at diff vets.

if you do lose your job hun....the benefit office is the place to go until a diff job comes along.

the lady round the corner from me is employed by a pets to vets type scheme...animal ambulance and feed a clean out pets why owners are away and walk dogs whilst owners are at work or ill. They charge £25 and i cannot how much she retains from it but it pays her bills etc.
Set yourself up as a rabbit groomer..a mobile one...youd be flooded with customers lol.
what about charging for reiki sessions on pets and people?

just thought...what about making your spare bedroom a house rabbit boarding room? housebuns are usually left at boarders with outside hutches......so a bunnymummy who discovers bunny boarding indoors will opt for that.

we borrowed money AND used credit and debit cards right before xmas...over £2000 in total on bills at vets....and the card needs to be paid first cos of charges.
we didnt know that other vet did payment scheme claiming direct from pet plan...or wed have not got in so much debt over this ...you gotta ask!

i cant remember the criteria for the pdsa..but i know youre only allowed 3 pets on their books....and it used to be council tax and housing benefit that entitled you to their help....if you do lose your job i guess saldy thats one help:(

i told you too hun..order online....its cheaper to buy bigger bags etc...honest......but like you said..its the room taken up:(

i know..we have one bedroom far too damp to live in but stuff in sealed plastic boxes and bags go in there and some shelves etc..its full up!! and ive cleared the house out soo many times!

i hope a magic wand gets waved over you soon....xx

Thanks Debbie. What a brilliant idea - house bunny boarding. I'd much prefer that to having a human lodger. I have a friend who does bunny boarding - but not indoors so she may be able to refer clients to me. I don't have carpet in that room or wallpaper and could set up different pens quite cheaply. There are no wires at all. I wonder if I would find enough custom? I can give antibiotic injections and am used to bathing bunny bottoms and volunteered at a rescue for a year so have experience of pregnant and baby buns too. I could offer them reiki as well. My buns seem to like it.

Mmm - you have really given me something to think about. I will talk to my friend who does bunny boarding and see if she gets enquiries for indoor buns. The room is a reasonable size so the buns would have space to binky and stretch their paws. I could board hamsters too:)

Just hope Peggy and Sue are both OK on Friday and don't cost me too much. I have a friend who is entitled to use the PDSA and he uses a private vet as he can afford to. He has offered to take mine to the PDSA if I get really stuck - which I know many people will disagree with - and I have never taken him up on it but it reassures me to know the offer is there.

Thanks for your support. Let me know when I can come and visit you and your fur family. I know you are stressed with illnesses at the moment.

Sending vibes for the girls. There have been a lot of bunnies a bit off their food in recent weeks, not necessarily full-blown stasis but enough to have anxious mummies (like me :oops:) taken them to have thier teeth checked. xx

Yes, I just want to have my mind put at rest. Peggy is a nightmare as she won't eat if I am watching. I have to lurk behind the kitchen window so she can't see me and it's difficult to tell if she is actually eating or her nose is just twitching. There is a lot of food being left which isn't like Peggy and Sue. I did see them both eating some hay this morning, which is good and they have eaten their herbs as well so I know it is not full blown stasis.

If they hadn't been eating at all I'd have got the vet to see me today as an emergency but I don't want to abuse the trust they put in me to only push for a quick appointment when I really need one. At the moment if I say I need to be seen asap they know I mean it and fit me in no matter what.

Peggy's bottom needs regular bathing and the litter tray is well used so I know food is being eaten:)

Back