• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wound help- underlining immune problem? U/D Had Surgery and Pictures

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Accidently posted this in Rab chat as well :oops:

As many know, Isabel had an internal reaction to her spay stitches, and had to go in and have a large lump under the skin removed. This was not ideal, as when she comes round from anaesthetic, she gets a bit of pus come down her nose. This has happened both times she came round from a GA.

It has been just over a week and the lump is back. It was slightly bigger, and angrier looking.

Went to the vet who believe she may have an underlining immune problem?
They have decided this time, as the lump is all just under the skin and the abdomen wall is all intact, to treat it as an open wound.

I have to squeeze any pus from her daily, and syringe/clean the wound out with dilute hibiscrub.

The antibiotic I now have for her is a "capsule" kind called Antirobe 25mg

I was also given the option of a c+s swab as well, but came home with abx in the view that I am back at the vets in the morning, and can get a swab done then if this is seen the better option (Which I am starting to think is.)

Anyone have any experience in this situation, or had a rabbit similar who reacted to operations like this?!

Last edited:
If she has had the antirobe inserted a swab will be pointless now.

TBH I am a bit concerned that antirobe is being used at all in these circumstances :? Certainly you'll need to be 100% certain that she cant get to the wound as if she ingests antirobe she'd be in real trouble.

Given the issue with her respiratory tract and now the post surgical abscess it seems that Pasteurellosis might be very likely.

What are her hocks like? Any signs of problems there ?

I was told to open the capsule and sprinkle it on her food, which I was a little confused at.

She hasn't had todays dose as I wanted opinions first. I have squeezed the pus out and cleaned with hibi scrub for now though.

They wanted to take a swab of her nose as well because of the pus when she comes round from a GA

No sign of any hock trouble.

As it is a huge open wound, I have asked for a buster collar as a precaution incase she starts to nibble at it.

I was told to open the capsule and sprinkle it on her food, which I was a little confused at.

She hasn't had todays dose as I wanted opinions first. I have squeezed the pus out and cleaned with hibi scrub for now though.

They wanted to take a swab of her nose as well because of the pus when she comes round from a GA

No sign of any hock trouble.

As it is a huge open wound, I have asked for a buster collar as a precaution incase she starts to nibble at it.

:shock:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Antirobe_Capsules/-30239.html

:?

Last edited:
I am so glad I have not given her any :evil:

Will call the vet now.

What, in your opinion, would you do treatment wise, Jane?

I am so glad I have not given her any :evil:

Will call the vet now.

What, in your opinion, would you do treatment wise, Jane?

Errrrrrrm, change Vets pronto !!

Honestly, I am quite horrified.

If she has Pasteurella manifesting itself in RT issues and abscesses then my Vet would give Depocillin *BY INJECTION ONLY*

But I would NOT want Isabel to have Depocillin now, not until you see how her guts are after the antirobe.

I really do think you need to seriously consider seeking help from another Vet.

Louise, I wish I could, I was going to ask you about going to William, but I have no spare money at all. :(

I will have a response in 10 minutes from the vet, will put up what is said, but I am so happy I waited to get opinions on the culture swab rather than giving her the abx straight away. She has not had anything yet.

ETA: This medication was prescribed by a new vet in the practice, so I will be telling the practice manager about today.

Last edited:
I think it would be best to see William.

I just had a phone call which pretty much said, weighing up the gastro problems against what she has now is a risk they would take and have used before successfully in other cases pretty much :shock: :?

If there is any way you could take up Lou's suggestion I would.
Sorry to be blunt but the Vet treating Isabel atm is more likely to kill her than cure her.

Isabel will now be going to see William tomorrow :)

I will keep this post updated with what treatment he prescribes.

I agree with you Jane, but sadly, as the vet fobbed my concern off, it doesn't look like they will admit to their mistake.

I am just so glad I decided to ask about C+S testing prior to giving her anything!

Hope everything turns out ok with her. I dont know if this will make any differene but..as im suposed to be adopting her anyway, I could take her to my vet who is amazing and then you wouldnt have to pay any of the vet bills. Please dont take this as me having a go because im not, just want to help

Hi Cat,

Thank you for your offer, but Isabel was admitted today (only just got online to see your post!)

They have started her straight away on penicillin injections, and metacam.
She will be having surgery tomorrow to remove the whole of the infected area plus a few inches above and below it, down to the muscle layer I think was said, so that only healthy tissue will remain.

I will have another update on her tomorrow.

Hi Cat,

Thank you for your offer, but Isabel was admitted today (only just got online to see your post!)

They have started her straight away on penicillin injections, and metacam.
She will be having surgery tomorrow to remove the whole of the infected area plus a few inches above and below it, down to the muscle layer I think was said, so that only healthy tissue will remain.

I will have another update on her tomorrow.

Poor little girl :cry:

Sending millions of vibes to her.

xx

William was horrified that she had been given Antigone saying it would have killed her..He is going to phone me after the op so will update. She is such a lovely bun, hope he can sort her out.
Thank goodness you posted that link Jane, you probably saved her life!!!

Last edited:
William was horrified that she had been given Antirobe saying it would have killed her..He is going to phone me after the op so will update. She is such a lovely bun, hope he can sort her out.
Thank goodness you posted that link Jane, you probably saved her life!!!

That bloody Vet should be struck off :evil:

If she were my Rabbit I'd be kicking up one hell of a stink and I'd certainly NEVER take ANY Rabbit to them again :evil:

Thank goodness for St William :love:

That bloody Vet should be struck off :evil:

If she were my Rabbit I'd be kicking up one hell of a stink and I'd certainly NEVER take ANY Rabbit to them again :evil:

Thank goodness for St William :love:

We are deciding what the next actions should be, I have met with the practice manager before without much success and approached the rcvs over a different matter. I an very concerned over the care they provide, not just in this case :(

I have everything crossed that the op goes well today

We are deciding what the next actions should be, I have met with the practice manager before without much success and approached the rcvs over a different matter. I an very concerned over the care they provide, not just in this case :(

I have everything crossed that the op goes well today

I too am aware that this is certainly not the first serious 'incident' and it is VERY concerning that the problems are ongoing. Well done for all your efforts to get something done to try to protect other clients.

Kris, I only wish that I were able to offer you more practical help with Isabel's aftercare, which will no doubt be protracted as she has a big battle on her little Rexy paws :cry: I am thinking of her today and I'll be checking on this thread for updates xx

Back