• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Alice

Lu_x

Mama Doe
I've held off posting this for a while as I didn't want to make myself over think it all but as I have to take her to the vets Thursday I think I'm going to have to talk about it.

You might recall Alice is my little rescue bun from a breeder. At 1 year old she has had 3 litters and has been used for one show but as she didn't win she soon fell out of favour :evil:

I took her to the vets before Christmas for a full bunny MOT and it turned out that her breeders ring which I was already concerned about being on too tight is on too tight and is out of shape and it looks as if it has damaged the tendons in her little leg, so when is under for her spaying on Thursday 6th January, the ring will be removed. Also as she was only fed rabbit museli at the breeders... no hay so surprise surprise she needs a lot of dental work. I've never had a bunny need dental before so I'm terrified for her.

She's only a little nethie so I'm worried about her being under for all that work. I'm hoping someone can ease my worries a little!

:(

Thats very sad to hear about where she came from. But sounds like she is in great hands now :) I will send vibes for her.

I dont have any experience of spaying but Starbuck has had a GA for a dental and x-rays before, and I was very nervous but he was fine.

Akpo recently had a GA for xrays and dental work, and she was fine. Sending vibes for your little bun. Sad to hear about her previous life :( I'm very pleased she is with you x

I've held off posting this for a while as I didn't want to make myself over think it all but as I have to take her to the vets Thursday I think I'm going to have to talk about it.

You might recall Alice is my little rescue bun from a breeder. At 1 year old she has had 3 litters and has been used for one show but as she didn't win she soon fell out of favour :evil:

I took her to the vets before Christmas for a full bunny MOT and it turned out that her breeders ring which I was already concerned about being on too tight is on too tight and is out of shape and it looks as if it has damaged the tendons in her little leg, so when is under for her spaying on Thursday 6th January, the ring will be removed. Also as she was only fed rabbit museli at the breeders... no hay so surprise surprise she needs a lot of dental work. I've never had a bunny need dental before so I'm terrified for her.

She's only a little nethie so I'm worried about her being under for all that work. I'm hoping someone can ease my worries a little!

:(

omg its breeder like that which give good breeders a bad name :?
im so sorry your girl has come from a breeder like that and good on you on getting her out of there
fingers crossed everything will be fine thinking of you xxx

Thank you all for your kind words. I have had my other two buns spayed but I've never had them have to be out for an longer than a spay/neutering and I think it's just bothering me that she is so tiny and got to have so much done on one day :(

This is Alice:
IMG_0318.jpg

oh bless her....thats really sad....wonderful she now has a good home with you....:D
My 2 girls were spayed....I gave them each a little fleece blanket a few days before for them to use and get their scents on.(make sure they dont eat it)......then sent their blankets with them to the vets....it just meant when they came out the ops they had their little blankets with their own smells and for some comfort.:)
Obviously ensure the vets will be giving pain killer (metacam) and you should be given 3 or 5 days worth to take home with you - sorry cant rememebr exactly how many days. I gave my girls their dose mashed into some banana...which they adore...as the pain killer was in liquid form.
I also packed a lunch box each for them...to help them start eating again after their ops. My vets said no food was needed...as they fed excel...however if your bunny is not eating what the vets have then def. pack your own lunch for them. I also included dried herbs as they liked that....so anything you know she will like pop in.

When I bought them home they had to be in a confined space to enable their tummies to heal. Mine had internal dissolving stiches and then glue. You will need to check daily on their wounds by gently lifting them up without stretching their tummies.....or you can wait till she flops out & then have a peak. My girls after a few days did get annoyed at being in a confined space & Indiana actually jumped out one time when I was right there....so obviously the healing time can differ. You will have to go back to the vets for a 3 & 10 day post op check.

Liquid is important & you need to make she eats & poops & drinks when she is home. The vet should not let her home until she has done all this. Haveing a bowl of water for her to drink out of will enable her to drink a little easier. As their tummies will be very sore - to lift their heads up to drink when not well is often to much & then they dont bother & it can be a crisis. If she doesnt already have a bowl of water - pop one in her cage so she can get accumstomed to it abit.

Making sure she is not on hay or straw is important to. You dont want any bits to get stuck in her wound & cause an infection. I used puppy pads which worked well & Put the hay into toilet rolls for them. Make sure the puppy pads are not eaten...another thing you could try before she goes in. Heat is another imprtant thing to help her regulate herbody temperature....you can use a snuggle safe with a fleece over it...just make sure she has space to go to if she does not want to use it....dont want to overheat her.
My girls were very quiet when they came back....this is normal...you could try some fresh herbs dipped in water...parsely often is a good one to get them eating again too....just make sure they are comfy, food, water warmth and a cover for them to go under....cloth over abit of the cage perhaps.

Hope Ive not gone overboard....just tried to remember what I did...hope this helps & lots vibes for Alice. Just thought the vet may give you something for her leg where the ring is.

Lotsa vibes Alice...:love::love::love:

Thank you all for your kind words. I have had my other two buns spayed but I've never had them have to be out for an longer than a spay/neutering and I think it's just bothering me that she is so tiny and got to have so much done on one day :(

This is Alice:
IMG_0318.jpg

OMG she is beautiful!:love::love::love::love:
Sorry - didnt realise you already had gone through the spay thing:oops:....and it was the longer dentasl you were worried about.....lotsa vibes....:love:

This is Alice:
IMG_0318.jpg

:love::love::love::love: she is stunning we love nethies my daughter has 6 and shows them but is giving up on the breeding side of them she decided last year not to get another doe after laura retires its strange she needs dental as nethies on a whole dont have teeth problems poor baby not getting hay thats just horried hay is cheaper than most things when it comes to rabbits and is sounds like she was on a poor diet too its breeders like that that make me :censored::evil:
however as a breed they have everything else problems which we were trying to breed out along with other good breeders not breeding does that have or produce the problems the breeding of babies alone have major problems peanuts, deformities, inside out babies some have been known to expolde before 4 weeks :shock: and the ones which are fine you just hope they dont get eaten these are the reasons my daughter has decided to give up on breeding them too much heart break and stress :cry:
i send you all the spare luck we have just for Alice and her recovery xxxxxx

Last edited:
Poor wee soul I don't have any experience with spays or dentals I'm afraid but just wanted to pass on my best wishes for the wee one.

:love::love::love::love: she is stunning we love nethies my daughter has 6 and shows them but is giving up on the breeding side of them she decided last year not to get another doe after laura retires its strange she needs dental as nethies on a whole dont have teeth problems they have everything eles problems as a breed which we were trying to breed out along with other breeders the breeding of babies alone have major problems peanuts, deformities, inside out babies some have been known to expolde before 4 weeks :shock: and the ones which are fine you just hope they dont get eaten these are the reasons my daughter has decided to give up on breeding them too much heart break and stress :cry:
i send you all the spare luck we have just for Alice and her recovery xxxxxx

I was informed that Alice had produced three litters but the first litter all died and the second and third litters all had to bigger ears so she was no longer deemed a useful rabbit to have :?

Her diet was awful so the dental problems were expected in this case, I would have been shocked if her teeth had been fine. The vet has said that after this dental work she shouldn't need any further dental as I've got her on a good diet now. She's also on a diet as she's a bit overweight again due to her old diet being all musueli.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words xx

I was informed that Alice had produced three litters but the first litter all died and the second and third litters all had to bigger ears so she was no longer deemed a useful rabbit to have :?

Her diet was awful so the dental problems were expected in this case, I would have been shocked if her teeth had been fine. The vet has said that after this dental work she shouldn't need any further dental as I've got her on a good diet now. She's also on a diet as she's a bit overweight again due to her old diet being all musueli.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words xx

thats discusting :evil: poor girl one of our does produced the most funny babies i ever saw they were long eared and so funny but the doe is still here and happy and will remain here ;)
you have done a great thing and dont get down hearted about breeders were not all like that i promise ;)
{{hugs}}

Back