• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

over grown teeth

jill

Warren Scout
I looked at all 10 of my rabbits teeth yesterday 2 have overgrown front teeth
is there any thing that i can give them to wear them down in the future
so i dont have a on going problem il have to book a date at the vets
its strange that this has just happend there both 7 months old i must
be missing something :(

hay, hay and more hay :wave: thats the best way to keep teeth worn down!

Some buns are just prone to dental :( my bun is a dental bun, i have to have his teeth regually done at the vets, but providing yummy hay everyday can prevent future dental problems or less regualar dental problems :)

Last edited:
For the front teeth I would have thought things like willow sticks and wooden blocks would be good to keep them worn down.
I hope it doesn't turn into an ongoing problem!

Are they related?

I agree with Loosy about wood to chew, willow balls, anything that uses their front teeth. Hay is predominantly for the back teeth.

Although hay predominantly grinds the molar (back teeth), the action of grinding the molars correctly promotes good incisor wear also simply by the chewing action involved.

Incisor malocclusion is often a sign of more significant dental disease, and although it can occur in isolation, it is unusual and generally means there is some jaw misallignment that will affect the molars also, for this reason a vet exam asap is very important, the incisors will also need to be burred to correct the overgrowth.

A good high fibre diet - plenty of hay/grass is essential to manage this condition.

Sounds like my Mischief. He has to go to the vets every month for them burring. Bless him. :( He has loads of hay and is fed pellets, has loads of chew toys but it doesn't work as his front teeth don't meet up. :( Hope it's not the same for your buns.

Back