• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smaller feces

TeodoraP

Young Bun
My bunny is having smaller feces today, since the last night. Yesterday they were normal. They were smaller also about 5 days ago and also fewer, like today.:?I can't understand why. Her appetite is normal, she's active, everything's ok. Could there still be a problem?:(

It could be a problem, I don't know.
I find Oscars poo varied depending on what time of day it is. Sometimes they will be small and dark, others big and golden. I think it's just dependant on whether he's been eating hay or not before...

Its normally a sign the gut is slowing down. Does she eat enough hay?

I second this.

I've just literally had a bun in stasis a short while ago and the first sign was smaller poops. The gut works behind the eating, so it may start slowing down before other symptoms become apparent.

Your bun may stop pooping all together, it may stop eating/drinking.

Please keep an eye on it, if they continue throughout the rest of the day, i would seriously consider a vets trip.

The alternative could be a blockage, again, this will require a vet visit.

Its normally a sign the gut is slowing down. Does she eat enough hay?

Oh, yeah, she's eating very much, she loves it!
Exactly as our case, tiger_lily.:)

A blockage from what?:(She's eating enough hay, which I know prevents the balls of fur. And she's being brushed every 2 or 3 days. And she's not molting right now.:?

Last edited:
Of course I feed her fresh veggies. And she's drinking, but not much, in some days more, in others less. She has never been a drinker. I noticed she prefers the water when I put into it a medication to prevent coccidiosis (2 days/month).

She little sharlatan!:evil:Half an hour ago I started cleaning her cage and I noticed very many feces in a corner, where I couldn't see them. They are just of a normal size. The small ones were in the front part.:lol:Right now she's also making many, of a normal size too.:D

Back