• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasturella

clarebear

Mama Doe
Could anyone tell me exactly what Pasturella is please, and how it can be passed to other rabbits? There is a lovely little bunny (Sneezy) in one of our local P&H. He is in the adoption section and is looking for a new home. He's so lovely, but I was worried about him passing it onto Bramble.

It's a bacterium commonly carried in the upper respiratory tract in rabbits, and it is supposed that many buns are asymptomatic carriers (in that you could culture it from many rabbits if you took a swab and yet they have no symptoms). Rather like us carrying Strep and Staph on our skin and in our noses/mouths - doesn't mean we always have an active infection at all, our immune systems and the mucosal barrier prevents the bacteria ever getting hold.

Pasturella is much the same and many buns carry it, but only those with a weakened immune system for whatever reason will go on to develop an active pasturella infection. So, whilst it is highly infectious, a healthy bunny could live with and groom a pasturella bunny (with active infection) and never go on to develop any symptoms, indeed partner bun may already be carrying the bacteria. However, if I had a bun with a lowered immune system (existing infection, stressed, grieving, post-op, open wound, on corticosteroids etc) I would not put them with a bun with an active pasturella infection and would follow rigorous hygiene.

Thank you. Sounds like it can be really nasty. :( Feel so sorry for the poor little Sneezy. I hope someone takes him home.

Back