• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance for bunnies

Lots of members here have petplan insurance, inclusive of me.

£19.97 per month for my two.

Both dwarf lops.

Thanxx Graham - much appreciated. It's all a bit mind-boggling! :?

Just make sure you read the t's and c's about 5 times.

If your bun has any known health issues, they won't be covered etc. Also, dental work is only covered if not already a problem and if they have an annual dental check.

Very useful advice - I'm thrilled I found this forum; I read most of the non-general threads. Sorry the hear about your OH btw, I hope she gets well soon (I did read that general thread). Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

PetPlan offer the best coverage. Just remember to keep their vaccinations up to date and get yearly dental checks. The excess is about £50 and they don't cover 'routine' work like dental burring/clipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myxomatosis needs to be done every year

VHD needs to be done every six months

Its the other way round.

What pet insurance do you have, if any?

I'm not sure what to get for the bunnies, and it seems many places offer the option of dog or cat only. I found this on Pets at Home; what would you recommend?

https://www.petplan.co.uk/covernote/Voucher_TandCs.pdf

Thanxx

None at the moment but i have 14 bunnies here and I'll have more shortly so it would be impracticable to insure. I can however pay for operations as they arise.

I have Petplan, too, for two of my rabbits - about £25 per month. My third is 'elderly' so cannot insure.

Back