• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why feed pellets?

William

Wise Old Thumper
After seeing the reno rabbit thread where they only eat grass/hay, I wondered, what nutrition does pellets give rabbits? Why do some people give almost 100% diet of hay/grass, while most give 90%? I know some give more hay because of dental problems but are those rabbits missing any nutrition? I mean, I know in the while rabbits would be eating mainly grass but it seems like we wouldn't feed any pellets at all if they could eat almost 100% hay/grass with a bit of veg. :?

I think the idea behind pellets is to ensure that they get all the vitamins and minerals they need that they would normally get from a variety of weeds and plants in the wild. Wildies don't eat just grass, they eat the odd nettle and bramble and dandelion too.

Most pellets do contribute some nutritional content to the diet, it is important that they are high fibre though. Some people don't feed pellets and have perfectly healthy buns. The diet would need to include a wide variety of hays/grasses/herbs/veg though

unless we walk miles each day gathering the shrubs and stuff rabbits eat in the wild it would be very hard for us to get the proper rabbit diet spot on with all nutrional needs covered, i think pellets are a great back up plan and they do aide the diet as long as we dont feed too many :D plus bunnies like them as a treat too, my pair go mad running crazy in circles at pellet time :love: probably the only time the lazy buggas move so the pellets also help little non moving guts :lol:

Ah, I see. I thought it was probably that. So I guess the reno rabbits have a variety growing in their field.

I think Oscar would hate me if he didn't get his pellets! He waits by his bowl every morning for it to be filled, and started stomping on saturday when I had a lie-in and was late down- ooops!

I think Oscar would hate me if he didn't get his pellets! He waits by his bowl every morning for it to be filled, and started stomping on saturday when I had a lie-in and was late down- ooops!

Lol, mine are like that too. Ben kept nipping me last night while I was cleaning his cage when I refused to give him anymore pellets. I couldn't believe him! :roll: Pellets must taste very good.

Ah, I see. I thought it was probably that. So I guess the reno rabbits have a variety growing in their field.

It does sound a close to natural diet. I suppose even in the wild there are only certain types of plants in each habitat

Back