• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

scatter

Alpha Buck
Sorry to start another thread on this subject, but I really don't know what to do:oops: I know that it is now thought that you shouldn't just give a 9 day course (although the manufacturer recommend this), but that you should do the 28 day course. However, if, as vets say, you could pick up the EC at any vet visit, does this mean you have to give buns a 28 course after every single visit to the vet - this could mean you were giving it a lot in some cases - I'm really confused as to what is the right thing to do. I've only given my two a 9 day course this time - they are due to have myxi vaccs again in December and therefore would normally give them another 9 day one then normally. Please help?!!:?

Sorry to start another thread on this subject, but I really don't know what to do:oops: I know that it is now thought that you shouldn't just give a 9 day course (although the manufacturer recommend this), but that you should do the 28 day course. However, if, as vets say, you could pick up the EC at any vet visit, does this mean you have to give buns a 28 course after every single visit to the vet - this could mean you were giving it a lot in some cases - I'm really confused as to what is the right thing to do. I've only given my two a 9 day course this time - they are due to have myxi vaccs again in December and therefore would normally give them another 9 day one then normally. Please help?!!:?

At the moment it is recommended that every Pet Rabbit is given a 'one off' 28 day course of Panacur. Treatment is NOT given again unless clinical symptoms of EC present

At the moment it is recommended that every Pet Rabbit is given a 'one off' 28 day course of Panacur. Treatment is NOT given again unless clinical symptoms of EC present

Sorry to be a bit thick - so would you only give one 28 day course then if you were me (bearing in mind my two have had several 9 days doses over the last 18 months) - i.e. next time they would be 'due' for a dose?

Sorry to be a bit thick - so would you only give one 28 day course then if you were me (bearing in mind my two have had several 9 days doses over the last 18 months) - i.e. next time they would be 'due' for a dose?

I would do one 28 day course.
I would only retreat if clinical symptoms present

Panacur, like ALL medication, is not without risks and potential side effects. The RWAF Lectures in 2009 stated that giving repeated short (9 day) courses is pointless and could possibly lead to the development of Panacur (Fenbendazole) resistance.

You can obtain the relevant Lecture Notes here

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=986

I would do one 28 day course.
I would only retreat if clinical symptoms present

Panacur, like ALL medication, is not without risks and potential side effects. The RWAF Lectures in 2009 stated that giving repeated short (9 day) courses is pointless and could possibly lead to the development of Panacur (Fenbendazole) resistance.

You can obtain the relevant Lecture Notes here

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=986

Thanks very much for that Jack's Jane:)

Back