• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Use of Panacur with small rabbits

Marmot

Young Bun
In order to rule out parasites as a cause of my bunny's mild anaemia, our vet and I agreed to put Dylan of a 28 day course of Panacur Rabbit wormer at 1 graduation per day. Panacur's instructions say that only rabbits over 2.5kg should receive this treatment. Dylan being a 7 month old Mini Lion Lop only weighs 1.25kg, half of the required weight (and hence the lower dosage). Have any of you guys used this treatment on your smaller bunnies and if so, was it safe? :?

my vet & I feel its safe but i'd recommend double checking the dose for your little one with the vet. i hope it does the trick

My 1.3 kg bunny got 4 weeks of Panacur a few months ago and was absolutely fine. It was liquid Panacur, though, not the paste stuff in the tube thing, so it was easier to get a low dose correctly. I hope it gets rid of any possible parasites Dylan has.

I use the 10% liquid panacur (for cats and dogs). It's much easier to give the correct dose, and cheaper if you have multiple rabbits or a long course to cover.

Thanks guys.

I really don't know if parasites is Dylan's problem. 8 weeks after being neutered Dylan's whole personality seemed to change from a very lively bunny to a bit of a lethargic bun and he lost a lot of weight in just one week (160g!). He had a blood test which diagnosed him with mild anaemia and he was scheduled at the vets for lots of scans. However as we managed to keep his weight stable and he appeared to be picking up (and I was worried about the anaesthetic making him worse) we have postponed further investigation at the moment. We had also been trying to bond him (for 3 months) with Sian, a 1 year old Minilop and she was quite aggressive and they got into fur-flying scraps. I was wondering if Dylan is suffering from stress or depression and needs a shrink! (I know I do!)

There's a parasite which is common in rabbits, and especially effects them when they are stressed - which can be pretty much anything with rabbits, so neutering may have triggered it to activate, for instance. It sounds like the treatment was suggested for this parasite (EC or Encephalitazoon cuniculi). A 28 day course of Panacur is the standard treatment for it. There's lots of info on here about it if you use the 'search' box.

It's a spore-forming organism which is passed out in urine - so it's important to avoid re-infection by keeping all areas disinfected if they have had contact with urine. It can cause a range of symptoms, often a head tilt or sudden back leg weakness - that's because it affects the neurological system of the rabbit. Other organs and eyes can also be affected. Panacur reduces the loading (ie the amount of parasite in the body) but may not completely eliminate it, so flare ups are possible if the rabbit is stressed, and further rounds of Panacur needed.

There's a parasite which is common in rabbits, and especially effects them when they are stressed - which can be pretty much anything with rabbits, so neutering may have triggered it to activate, for instance. It sounds like the treatment was suggested for this parasite (EC or Encephalitazoon cuniculi). A 28 day course of Panacur is the standard treatment for it. There's lots of info on here about it if you use the 'search' box.

It's a spore-forming organism which is passed out in urine - so it's important to avoid re-infection by keeping all areas disinfected if they have had contact with urine. It can cause a range of symptoms, often a head tilt or sudden back leg weakness - that's because it affects the neurological system of the rabbit. Other organs and eyes can also be affected. Panacur reduces the loading (ie the amount of parasite in the body) but may not completely eliminate it, so flare ups are possible if the rabbit is stressed, and further rounds of Panacur needed.

Thank you Shimmer for such a knowledgeable response. ;)

I've been keeping house bunnies for nearly 22 years but they can still surprise me.... :lol:

Back