• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering question

thebuz

Warren Scout
Our 5 month old is going in for his nip and tuck tomorrow :shock: We currently have him in a 3 level rabbit condo as we are waiting for the operation before bonding him with our little girl and we are worried about being able to really monitor him when he's home to ensure he's recovering well and also don't want him jumping from level to level. We were thinking of bringing him to the living room in a penned in area that is normally occupied by his soon to be bun wife and swapping her into the condo for the next few days. We thought this might work as we were planning on doing that before bonding them but wondering if this might cause him undue stress with her scents. Thoughts?

This is him when we first got him..... :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Ferd.jpg

So you don't think it would cause him undue stress to be in "her" space? He's been through to it before outside of her pen and they've sniffed each other through bars so he already knows she's there. I just don't want to do anything that may hinder his recovery but would like to have him in the living room to keep a close eye on him.

You could swap them like now, so he has time to get used to it while he is feeling well if you're worried. That's what I tend to do, but sometimes they have had to go somewhere new after an op and been fine. It may even bring him round and make him poo faster, to mark his territory. :lol:

Hahahaha.... I like the marking idea... anything to get his little tum working is alright with me. I may talk to the OH and maybe we will swap him out tonight. Our only worry is that he can jump the pen. He's way smaller than our little girl however he has the strongest little back legs I've ever seen and I'd worry that he'd somehow jump the pen while we're sleeping.:shock:

Ok so we swapped them around last night.... there was so much activity it was like a crazy house. She marked every inch of his 4 foot by 4 foot by 2 foot 3 level condo. Trust me that was no feat. Then he was absolutely spastic tearing around the living room dropping little love drops EVERYWHERE!!!!! :roll: Our living room now smells like a barn but he loved it. So now we're going to leave them like that for a few days while he recovers from today's nip & tuck so we can watch him and hopefully will help with the bonding we're planning in a few weeks!!

Thanks for the advise Sky-O!!!!! :love:

Awesome!

If he can jump the pen, maybe peg a sheet, or similar, over the top, so that he can't.

We tested that by leaving him in last night and he never even attempted. After the nip & tuck he's definitely not going to try so I think we're good. Our girl Scooter is loving her new digs now that she's claimed every square inch with a neck rub so glad we did it!!! Now we just have to get through today and hope that everything goes well. Poor little guy is out and about right now with no idea of what's about to take place!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Ferd just finished with surgery about an hour ago and is a little groggy but doing great. Should be taking him home shortly

Our vet is excellent that way. We get 5 days of pain meds afterwards and a free follow up to ensure everything is healing well. He's home now and already going to the bathroom. He has shaken off the general anaesthetic already and seems to be recovering very quickly. Now we just have to make sure he eats something and we'll be happy.

Thanks again for your advice!

Ferd is eating, pooping and running around like nothing happened. He even took his medicine through the syringe without any trouble. I just put it in his face and he started pulling at the end and apparently likes the taste. Crazy rabbit. Our other rabbit tried to spit her meds out when she was recovering from the spay and this one wanted more.

Yes we're very relieved. He absolutely refuses to be picked up so we were dreading the whole syringe feeding but he looks at it as a treat. We did NOT expect that so that was a very pleasant surprise. He is running around like nothing happened. I don't even think he has noticed that his bits are gone! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back