• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yard - Free Range

MsBinky

New Kit
Hello,

I saw that many here seem to house their bunnies outdoors. Mine are also outside due to my severe allergies. I currently house them in hutches in a shed. However, I have been considering allowing my 8lb girl to live free range in our yard. We are just in the brainstorming and research phase so if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

We live in the Netherlands. We don't have raccoons or skunks or most things like that. One thing we do have a lot of are cats and magpies. I'm mainly worried about the cats right now. We have seen the cat fencing and though it might work, we absolutely hate the look of it. The yard is already ugly and adding that would definitely make it look like a prison yard. Someone suggested a 'pole' system so we are looking into that as well. Of course, we understand that she would require a lot of hiding places so that would definitely be offered to her. We also have a full fence so there is no danger of dogs getting in. The flooring is fully tiled, inside and out so there would be no digging issues.

Does anyone let their rabbits run free in the yard? I'm really only trying to offer her the best with what I have. I'd much prefer modifying the yard if she can be safe and happy than keeping her cooped up in the hutch. I guess people in the UK might understand because I think most of you have similar yards?

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback :D

It seems too risky too me, because of the cats. I personally wouldn't do it. It just takes one hungry cat.. I remember reading on here a couple days ago about a stray cat trying to get someone's rabbits and killing the neighbor's ducks...

Do your rabbits live together? If not is neutering and introducing them possible? If they lived as a group you could give them free run of the shed and add a catflap into a run or aviary.

No, it is not possible. Maybelle is a very aggressive rabbit. She's the one I want to keep free range. The other two will be bonded and kept separately. I am reconsidering the cat fencing.

I think it highly unfair that my rabbit cannot enjoy our yard because other people's cats impede on our property. I love cats, I have two, but mine don't bother others as they are indoor cats.

:roll:

Don't let your rabbits out unless they are 100% secure or directly supervised with someone outside with them

Don't let your rabbits out unless they are 100% secure or directly supervised with someone outside with them

I'd agree with that - no matter how safe you think they are, there's always something. I learnt the hard way and lost 2 gorgeous bunnies despite 'fox-proofing' even though were werent aware of foxes in the area. :shock:

I know why you'd want them to have free-range - it sounds so lovely to have them in as natural an environment as possible but it is better for the bunnies to protect them.

I think it highly unfair that my rabbit cannot enjoy our yard because other people's cats impede on our property. I love cats, I have two, but mine don't bother others as they are indoor cats.

don't even get me started! :lol:
Could you build her a large run/aviary and put the hutch inside it? That way she would have more space to run around but would be safe from the cats and magpies.

No, a run would take up too much space. It wouldn't really offer her more than what she has now I am afraid :(. And lol, sorry about the cat comment. ;)

I have emailed Quan Myers for information. Quan has setup 'Rabbitats for Humanity' if you haven't heard of them. The reason I did was because they have something similar to what I am wanting to offer and they have an open top setup. These rabbitats are being advocated on another site I am on so I was wondering why theirs is ok but mine wouldn't be. Surely, I must be able to find some way... You can see them here:

http://www.rabbitatsforhumanity.org/

http://www.coastalhumanesociety.org/rabbitats.shtml

I am just not yet ready to call it quits :lol:

Back