• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a hutch be used again after myxi?

I'd say the same - especially as the myxi virus lives for years and years and years - isn't that one way how wildies pick it up, from old burrows?

Personally I have re-used hutches that my myxi buns have been in and never had any problems at all.

The very nature of my set up and quantity of buns (I have 19 buns at present -) means that they all merrily circulate.

Before anyone says AHHH but the very fact that you have had 3 buns over eight years with myxi means that it DOES stay in the hutch - in fact co-incidentally those three buns did not inhabit the hutches that other myxi bun had previously ever been in.

Damson had myxi years ago when we had a totally different set up, and Viola Rose (myxi last year) was in a hutch set up that Hawthorn (who has it now) has (co-incidentally) never been in.

Also each caught myxi in Sept when the mozzies are at their utmost.

None of the other buns who have circulated round the hutches (and lawn and patio and house) have ever caught it nor the partners of the myxi buns.

There was a thread on here last year about how myxi is spread and whether the original research done a long time ago on its spread in the wild population actually did indicate that the virus could live 'outside' direct contact or whether spread is always through blood sucking or direct contact with mucus etc.

The thread was inconclusive (ie we all argued about what the original research meant:lol::lol::lol:).

Viruses each spread in very different ways (for example Flu is easy to catch from someone by inhaling their sneezes etc - Hepatitis C is almost impossible to catch without sharing blood products or contaminated blood/needles etc).

The research on wild buns and myxi appears inconclusive as no-one appears able to conclusively state that none of the wild buns (or their burrows) in the research study had any contact with any any blood sucking insects such as fleas, mites or mozzies. So what was thought to be virus spread by possible mucus etc could actually have been due to contact with infected fleas or mozzies.

Suspect this thread will end up discussing it again!

VHD on the other hand is definitely a more serious problem vis a vis disinfecting.

Last edited:
:shock::shock::shock:
so we don't really know?
I suppose it's up to the individual then.
Personally I would burn the hutch and get another but I know that some people wouldn't be in thet position.
I must admit, i thought it was spread by fleas etc but then I heard someone say the virus lived on for years (like ringworm) in old burrows etc as well.
RU - informative as ever!:lol:

:shock::shock::shock:
so we don't really know?
I suppose it's up to the individual then.
Personally I would burn the hutch and get another but I know that some people wouldn't be in thet position.
I must admit, i thought it was spread by fleas etc but then I heard someone say the virus lived on for years (like ringworm) in old burrows etc as well.
RU - informative as ever!:lol:

I think that sums it up!! Unless one of the vets comes on with very recent and stringent research where buns have been isolated from all possible insect and other vectors and only exposed to a habitat previously lived in by a myxi bun but with NO insects etc.

However if you think about all the buns that you hear of on RU that have had myxi and their partners/companions never get it then personally I would say that it is not that easy to catch from direct contact without insect vectors. Otherwise all mine would have it right now (and last year).

On the otherhand - there are some who have whole colonies go down with it - but then that could simply be a very busy and hungry mozzie going from one to another.

To add something lighter hearted to this - In the old days they used to say that the commonest way to catch VD was from a toilet seat - my mother used to say that the day they discovered that it was very very rare (almost impossible) to catch VD from toilet seats was the day many marraiges failed!!! (as people realised their partners had had affairs!!).

Just shows you how research on viruses changes all the time.

Last edited:
I have checked it out in the textbook of rabbit medicine and it states - 'the virus persists in hutches that have been contaminated with fluid form leisons from infected rabbits and will infect unvaccinated rabbits that are pu into them' ........ 'Cheyletiella can act as a vector (transmit the disease) in the spread of the disease'

Hope that answers the question - get rid of the hutch - not worth the risk in my book (no pun intended lol)!

I have checked it out in the textbook of rabbit medicine and it states - 'the virus persists in hutches that have been contaminated with fluid form leisons from infected rabbits and will infect unvaccinated rabbits that are pu into them'

But surely that's only the case if another rabbit is put in without appropriate disinfection. I don't know enough about the virus or about various disinfectants to know if it is killed off by a good swishing with Virkon, F10, Conficlean, Jeyes, boiling water etc, but as long as I was happy that I was able to adequately disinfect it, I wouldn't have a problem with reusing one.

I have checked it out in the textbook of rabbit medicine and it states - 'the virus persists in hutches that have been contaminated with fluid form leisons from infected rabbits and will infect unvaccinated rabbits that are pu into them' ........ 'Cheyletiella can act as a vector (transmit the disease) in the spread of the disease'

Hope that answers the question - get rid of the hutch - not worth the risk in my book (no pun intended lol)!

None of the myxi lesions I have had on my rabbits have ever produced 'fluids'. They are hard swellings and lumps. Technically I know they are edema - BUT the fluid never seems to exit the lesions externally - they slowly drain internally.. The eyes run at a very early stage with some cases and there is the snuffly nasal phase - but no fluids from lesions - I am confused.

I always feel it is a bit like bubonic plague which had its pneumonic plague version - classic bubonic plague was almost entirely spread by fleas and other biting insects but there was a pneumonic form which killed much more quickly (a bit like the respiratory 'version' of myxi) that could spread by the sneezing etc.

Last edited:
With good infection prevention and control procedures through discinfecting and thorough cleaning and drying after, I see no reason why a hutch and run should not be able to be reused for another vaccinated rabbit.

I just quoted from the textbook of rabbit medicine.

I have no experience myself of re-using hutches so don't know if there would be a problem.
I have only ever had my bunnies who have been vaccinated but i understand that in a rescue situation not all buns are vaccinated and i also understand that rescues will need to re-use hutches cos they are costly.

Not sure about whether or not disinfection is successful. I work at a vets but we have metal kennels which are prob easier to disinfect. I will read up on it and let you know if i find out more.

I just quoted from the textbook of rabbit medicine.

I have no experience myself of re-using hutches so don't know if there would be a problem.
I have only ever had my bunnies who have been vaccinated but i understand that in a rescue situation not all buns are vaccinated and i also understand that rescues will need to re-use hutches cos they are costly.

Not sure about whether or not disinfection is successful. I work at a vets but we have metal kennels which are prob easier to disinfect. I will read up on it and let you know if i find out more.

Rabbits with vaccination can and do get myxi. Most of the rabbits you will read about on RU who have/had myxi have been vaccinated correctly and are up to date with their vaccines. Some get a very attenuated form, some get it very seriously still. This is not to say vaccines are not very very very useful and should be done - just that your assumption that only unvaccinated buns will get myxi is incorrect.

Back