• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding baby female rabbit with an adult neutered male rabbit

scoobylou

Young Bun
About a week ago I bought an 8 week old female rabbit for my oldest rabbit dash who is neutered. I read that it would be easy the only problem is that I have 2 other rabbits who are both males (who are bonded) they don't get on at all with dash so they constantly trying to attack dash when he's in his cage. When the little girl goes near his cage he will sometimes try to attack her through the cage as well, I don't know whether its reflex & he's scared due to the other 2 males or whether he doesn't like her. He's fine when he's let out of his cage & sniffs her cage, he never attacks her through the bars they just sniff each other. I don't know when the best time to try and bond them is, whether dash will attack her if I let him near her outside of the cage or whether he does it because he's used to rabbits coming up to his cage trying to attack him. Does anyone have any advice about when they think would be the best time to try & bond them without the risk of dash being able to attack the little girl in case he does.

p.s. We try to keep the 2 bonded males away from dash as much as possible so they don't hassle or hurt him however its very difficult sometimes & I think because of it he has negative feelings about any rabbit who comes near his cage

It sounds like reflex to me. They should be completely different in a neural environment.

Biscuit and Ginger were exactly like that, in Biscuits territory (they lived next to each other in seperate pens for 2 weeks).

Neutral Territory, whole new story and now loved up bunnies.

I think its natural he would want to drive her away from his territory.

I also think it would be better to wait until she is spayed and recovered until bonding them.

Back