• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removing a ring from an ex breeding/show rabbit

Lu_x

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Some of you may have seen my other posts about my newest bun rescue- Alice.

She is an ex breeding/show bun and has a ring on her hind leg to show for it... I really want for all of her past to be put firmly in the past for her, so I want the ring to go.

Does anyone know whether a vet would be able to remove this ring for me? I'm sure it can't be the most comfortable thing in the world but I am not confident to remove it myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lu and Alice Bun

rescue place or vets should be able to help remove it... do you need proof from the previous"owner" that the bun is yours?

Does she need to be neutered? I have previously had rings removed while the animal has been under GA for a neuter or dental so if there is an operation due, this would be the easiest and safest time to do it.

rescue place or vets should be able to help remove it... do you need proof from the previous"owner" that the bun is yours?

I hope not... the woman gave her to my friend as a result of her not producing show quality babies. If my friend didn't take her then and there she was going to be in the breeders words 'Knocked on the head'.

I shall ask the vet when she goes in for post spay appointment.

Thank you :wave:

I am surprised the breeder did not remove the ring, is it possible to find a breeder who will remove the ring as they should be used to doing this?

Vet will be able to remove the ring

If you don't want to wait and she's happy being held, put something like KY Jelly (Or even vaseline/butter but this will need to be rinsed off) on her leg, straighten it out and slide the ring off. The BRC does not need to know the ring has been taken off, just make sure it dosen't go on another rabbit

I am surprised the breeder did not remove the ring, is it possible to find a breeder who will remove the ring as they should be used to doing this?

The breeder just wanted her gone, whether it meant she left dead or alive, so I don't think she was bothered about the ring.

Thank you for all the advice, I think I'd rather a vet removed it. She is a fantastic little girl and she does allow me to hold her nicely but I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself! Xx

I went to the vet to see about getting a ring removed from my Belgian hare, they said she will need to go under to have it removed. I'm getting her spayed, so will get them both done at the same time.

My vets removed the rings from Milly and Molly while conscious. I was just worried the metal would 'twist' when cut and dig into the leg, so I decided it was best top go to the vet because if something like that happened it could be treated straight away.
In fact my blacksmith was saying he removed a ring from a client's bunny ( she breeds rabbits as well as has horses), because it had stuck on the joint and rubbed a sore. He had some 'clippers' that had a flat bit on one side that slid between the leg and the ring and this protected the leg. My blacksmith is a very useful man to know.:lol:

Back