• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have an unhappy Biscuit :'(

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know whats wrong, but its really distressing me this morning.

He was absolutely fine at breakfast (6.45am) and he and Ginger sat and munched through their pellets and then veg at 7.45am.

He was fine while i took OH to work from what i can tell, then 10 minutes ago, i heard him stamping (very distinctive its him, VERY hard and VERY loud).

Went down to see whats wrong, but i can't find anything wrong with him and Ginger's just sat there, quiet as a mouse.

He runs around a bit, stamps about 4 or 5 times, then hops off, does the same again and its been going on since 8:20am, about 5 minutes after i got back in.

He doesn't look happy at all, he has a 'distressed' look on his face and its really worrying me :(

What could it be? I doubt anything has spooked him, as the curtains are closed in the living room (its bloody cold here today) and the posty hasn't been yet.

Poor Biscuit :(

He may have heard something you can't or didn't hear - they do this sometimes. Both mine have had episodes like this. It can take time for them to calm down. Some nice food/treats usually does the trick, as well as leaving them to chill and just sitting in the room with them being normal, calms them down a bit.

Did you walk in carrying anything past them? This always freaks Poppy out - if you change your shape by holding an object bun may not recognise you due to the way their sight works.

He may have heard something you can't or didn't hear - they do this sometimes. Both mine have had episodes like this. It can take time for them to calm down. Some nice food/treats usually does the trick, as well as leaving them to chill and just sitting in the room with them being normal, calms them down a bit.

Did you walk in carrying anything past them? This always freaks Poppy out - if you change your shape by holding an object bun may not recognise you due to the way their sight works.

Perhaps thats what it is then, a noise i can't hear. He's definately not happy about something, normally if he does this, he does 3 or 4 stamps and then it all stops, but this has been going on for 40 minutes now.

I can't really go and sit with him as im at work, but i've just put a small piece of apple in with him and he's sat there nomming that right now so the stamping has stopped. I'll see if he starts up again after that.

Certainly didnt carry anything in, just walked through the front door, same way i do on a daily basis and went to give them their pre-work strokes and nose rubs and then a couple of minutes later, off we went, stampy mc stamp stamp!

Thanks for replying PL, i needed some re-assurance :)

Aww bless him, he'll be ok. My Zeke does that when he's heard something he's not sure of. Leave the curtains closed for a while to make the room a bit darker and more calming. He'll be ok in an hour or so I'd imagine. Talk to him calmly and tell him everything's ok. xxxxx

Perhaps thats what it is then, a noise i can't hear. He's definately not happy about something, normally if he does this, he does 3 or 4 stamps and then it all stops, but this has been going on for 40 minutes now.

I can't really go and sit with him as im at work, but i've just put a small piece of apple in with him and he's sat there nomming that right now so the stamping has stopped. I'll see if he starts up again after that.

Certainly didnt carry anything in, just walked through the front door, same way i do on a daily basis and went to give them their pre-work strokes and nose rubs and then a couple of minutes later, off we went, stampy mc stamp stamp!

Thanks for replying PL, i needed some re-assurance :)

:lol::lol:
Sorry that made me laugh :oops:

He'll be ok. Just keep plying him with food and he'll forget all about it. I always use food to distract fear, they can't say no to their tummies! I'm sure he'll be ok x

:lol::lol:
Sorry that made me laugh :oops:

He'll be ok. Just keep plying him with food and he'll forget all about it. I always use food to distract fear, they can't say no to their tummies! I'm sure he'll be ok x

i hope so.

They're now setting each other off :roll:

Biscuit stamps, runs around the pen like a maniac, which sets Ginger off, who runs around the pen like a maniac, which in turn sets Biscuit off again...

I've just given them both a fenugreek crunchie about 5 minutes ago and they appear to have now been quiet for 5 minutes...lets see how long it lasts...

I agree with PL. I would suggest trying not to stress about it yourself though because they will pick up on that and that may continue it longer than it would have been otherwise.

I also definitely agree about food as a good distraction.

I've come upstairs and left him to it after giving him food. He's had apple, fenugreek crunchie and a small piece of banana. It stops him while he's eating and then it starts up again.

Tried speaking softly softly and trying not to be stressed.

Going to leave him to it for 15-20 minutes, see if he calms down on his own, i've got work to do! :roll: :?

Why do they do this to us? heh

To add reassurance mine has done this from time to time.
Once there was a cat at the bottom of 100' garden through double glazed locked patio doors.:roll:
Another thing that makes mine thump is large spiders on the ground (= "sort it out & put it out for me")

To add reassurance mine has done this from time to time.
Once there was a cat at the bottom of 100' garden through double glazed locked patio doors.:roll:
Another thing that makes mine thump is large spiders on the ground (= "sort it out & put it out for me")

Thanks Thumps :)

If it was a spider, Biscuit would of stamped on it and eaten it :roll: he's 'speshall' like that :lol:

I'll give him some time.

Sorry, it was a bit of a random thread, i just suddenly panicked!

aww how is he now?

Mine love to start a thumping chorus in the middle of the night, all 5 of the downstairs bunnies stamping away. I always go and check but there is nothing I can see or hear to have upset them. As PL says they can hear things we can't though.

The banana worked :lol:

He stamped a few times after that, but hasn't since, thank god. He was scaring Ginger i think - she was breathing really quickly and looked very alert but its all calmed down now.

Thanks for asking Nic :)

The banana worked :lol:

He stamped a few times after that, but hasn't since, thank god. He was scaring Ginger i think - she was breathing really quickly and looked very alert but its all calmed down now.

Thanks for asking Nic :)

aww bless her, she probably thought he was some sort of big manly cave-rabbit :lol:

They get upset over such tiny little things, but sometimes massive, scary noises don't even make them bat an eyelid.

aww bless her, she probably thought he was some sort of big manly cave-rabbit :lol:

They get upset over such tiny little things, but sometimes massive, scary noises don't even make them bat an eyelid.

She loved the hoover the first two times it was on.
Now, it comes on and she bolts and hides, looks really scared :(

Biccy however, chases the hoover round the room, clambering all over it, silly thing.

She loved the hoover the first two times it was on.
Now, it comes on and she bolts and hides, looks really scared :(

Biccy however, chases the hoover round the room, clambering all over it, silly thing.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=247562 Lucy has a little hoover hiding place

:lol: when they are bonded hopefully she'll learn from him that it's nothing to be scared of :) maybe she just got too close to it and the air coming out spooked her so now she's scared?

Hi Gray sorry i missed this earlier.
It could well be that hes frustrated with Ginger nearby. My 3 have been thump happy since i started bonding them this morning :roll: I think its a sign of annoyance/frustration. Hes probably dying to get in there and hump her silly so she knows hes the boss :oops::lol:
How is he now? Xxx

Louie gets spooked all of the time, probably because of his eyesight.

Sometimes he can stamp 50 or 60 times, one after the other, even when I go in to reassure him!

He's been fine for hours now. I spent some time with him at lunch and he licked Ginger's head again through the bars, only for a second or two though, but :) :shock:

He's happilly nomming on some apple twigs from Fluffers at the mo :) Gingers got one too, a bit smaller though - she loves the dried up leaves, Biscuit doesn't

:roll:

Back