• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help & advice please after de-plumming/updt.coming home

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Bruno was de-plummed yesterday and over night he has not eaten much or poo'd and has developed a bit of a breathing problem, he sounds really snotty and raspy.

Vets have given baytril, zantac and meloxidyl. They also gave some critical care to give.

TRhey told them to keep him confined, which has obviosuly not helped with his gut as he not been able to move around to help stimulate his tummy.

Any advice or experience of the snotty problems after a de-plumming or use of aneasthetic???????

He is indoors as housebun,and now moving around, cleaning but not wanting foor or pooing at all really. but happy in himself but really snotty breathing.

Last edited:
I don't really know much about this but will put my tuppenceworth in.

As he's not eating or pooing I'd give your vet a ring. As I'm sure you're aware a bun not eating is serious, but it sounds like they've given you a heads up on this. I think I've heard of someone gently massaging a tummy to stimulate it but don't know if that would be helpful in your case, I don't know much about tums I'm afraid.

I don't really know much about this but will put my tuppenceworth in.

As he's not eating or pooing I'd take him to the vet. As I'm sure you're aware a bun not eating is serious.

yes I know about that as I had a stasis bun for 3 1/2 years. He has been to the vets for his tum and this nasal snotty sounding breathing problem which is my concern and wondered if people have experienced this before. Vet says its due to stress but they not bunny savvy vets as far as I am concerned.:)

I guess he's not going to be keen to eat if he's snotty as its difficult to eat and breathe at the same time on top of his not wanting to eat through the stassis.

I am no expert by any means but I think my vets would suggest they admit him to keep him hydrated via IV or sub cutaneous fluids and syringe feed etc while the Antibiotics get to work to clear the snotty nose/breathing issues.

Is the 'rasping' coming from his nasal passages or his lungs ?

Is there any nasal discharge ?

oh Jane, thank god your here,

The vet said he has a bit of noise coming from the left lung but it is mostly in his nose. There is no discharge. When he cleans himself he gets more noisely nasaly as bent over and then as it so much it makes him sneeze a couple of times but no discharge.

He has just eat some pellet but no poos yet. Could he have some underlying resp problem that this op has brought out.

Last edited:
I guess he's not going to be keen to eat if he's snotty as its difficult to eat and breathe at the same time on top of his not wanting to eat through the stassis.

I am no expert by any means but I think my vets would suggest they admit him to keep him hydrated via IV or sub cutaneous fluids and syringe feed etc while the Antibiotics get to work to clear the snotty nose/breathing issues.

yeah my vet would too but these guys are not bunny savvy vets.

he has just eaten some apple so he got some moisture going in. ig he hasn't drunk in say half an hour shall i give him a couple of mls of warm water via syringe???

I'm at brothers as it;s his bunny that I rescued a few months ago who up until now after this op has been perfectly healthy.

I would bow to advice from Jane once she is back on - but personally I would want prompt action with antibiotic injection to try and nip any respiratory problems in the bud - plus sub cut fluids and painkiller (metacam)

I suspect that either a small amount o fluid has aspirated at some point during the op. or a long standing respiratory problem has been triggered. Either way prompt (very prompt) intervention with abx would be necessary.

Although I am NOT a VET so this is just my opinion.

Sounds like you may need to find a good vet to now take this on?

I would bow to advice from Jane once she is back on - but personally I would want prompt action with antibiotic injection to try and nip any respiratory problems in the bud - plus sub cut fluids and painkiller (metacam)

I suspect that either a small amount o fluid has aspirated at some point during the op. or a long standing respiratory problem has been triggered. Either way prompt (very prompt) intervention with abx would be necessary.

Although I am NOT a VET so this is just my opinion.

Sounds like you may need to find a good vet to now take this on?

Apparently they didn't even give him an injection of anti's just gave them some to bring home and it's not metacam.

Hi, i'm a bit confused - has he seen the vet since the castration? has the vet heard his breathing?
If its mainly in his nose, some steam therapy might help just to loosen it and open his airways. Kylo loves sitting in a box with the bathroom steamed up, with some dandelions to munch. I'd give it about 30 mins max in there. He may sneeze more afterwards as the discharge moves around. Unless there is lots of discharge and/or he is feeling really terrible you won't see much coming out of his nose.
Hydration wise - if you pinch his skin up on his back, how quickly does it sink back to normal? if its a second then he's ok hydrated, if its slow or doesnt go back down then he is dehydrated. Some lukewarm water syringed would be ok, but if he fights you its best not to as he could inhale it. In which case he needs to see the vet.
In terms of antibiotics, i wouldnt give him anything not directly recommended by the vet, and i'd be cautious if he's not yet eating, which is probably due to stress and discomfort rather than a primary gut problem. If he's eating tempting things now then he's probably beginning to feel better. Try a dash of boiled water in a bowl of cold water, or a little pineapple juice, to tempt him to drink?
I wouldnt confine him too much as you say he needs to move to get his gut working, just not enough space to run, binky or jump onto objects etc. Warm away from drafts and sources of dust is important.

Castratiopn was yesterday, he was fine after op eating and pooing so they let him come home. Vet said confine him don't let him run around. I told them this bad as he needs to move around to help stimulate gut and as he not a jumper he should be ok. Last night his eating started to reduce. This morning they found him with this noisey nasal congestion and he would not eat. Took him back to vet and they said left lung a bit noisey but it mainly coming from his nose. There is no discharge. He is eating bits now but not poo'd. When he got back from vet this morning he drunk a load of water. He has had some critical care and some pellet and apple so he getting some moist stuff. The vet just gave them baytril, zantac and meloxidyl to give to him. The vet gave no injections at all and didn't even give him a dose of the oral stuff just told them to do it when they get home. which they did.

I am tempted now to take him to my vets who are bunny savvy and have a hospital.

Hi, i'm a bit confused - has he seen the vet since the castration? has the vet heard his breathing?
If its mainly in his nose, some steam therapy might help just to loosen it and open his airways. Kylo loves sitting in a box with the bathroom steamed up, with some dandelions to munch. I'd give it about 30 mins max in there. He may sneeze more afterwards as the discharge moves around. Unless there is lots of discharge and/or he is feeling really terrible you won't see much coming out of his nose.
Hydration wise - if you pinch his skin up on his back, how quickly does it sink back to normal? if its a second then he's ok hydrated, if its slow or doesnt go back down then he is dehydrated. Some lukewarm water syringed would be ok, but if he fights you its best not to as he could inhale it. In which case he needs to see the vet.
In terms of antibiotics, i wouldnt give him anything not directly recommended by the vet, and i'd be cautious if he's not yet eating, which is probably due to stress and discomfort rather than a primary gut problem. If he's eating tempting things now then he's probably beginning to feel better. Try a dash of boiled water in a bowl of cold water, or a little pineapple juice, to tempt him to drink?
I wouldnt confine him too much as you say he needs to move to get his gut working, just not enough space to run, binky or jump onto objects etc. Warm away from drafts and sources of dust is important.

Castratiopn was yesterday, he was fine after op eating and pooing so they let him come home. Vet said confine him don't let him run around. I told them this bad as he needs to move around to help stimulate gut and as he not a jumper he should be ok. Last night his eating started to reduce. This morning they found him with this noisey nasal congestion and he would not eat. Took him back to vet and they said left lung a bit noisey but it mainly coming from his nose. There is no discharge. He is eating bits now but not poo'd. When he got back from vet this morning he drunk a load of water. He has had some critical care and some pellet and apple so he getting some moist stuff. The vet just gave them baytril, zantac and meloxidyl to give to him. The vet gave no injections at all and didn't even give him a dose of the oral stuff just told them to do it when they get home. which they did.

I am tempted now to take him to my vets who are bunny savvy and have a hospital.

I would definitely do this. My concern is that he has an aspiration pneumonia.
If he were mine I'd want him examined by a Bunny Savvy Vet today.

Sending vibes for him XX

Taking him to vets at 5.15 to his usual vet. Gonna demand they give his antibiotic injection and a gut stimulant. he has just ate some more apple but his breathing becomes more heavier now when he eats and this didn't happen this morning so he is getting worse. He still not poo'd since about 9am this morning on the way to the vet. is willing to eat little bits every now and then but.

We are steaming the bathroom up at the moment to see if can help him a bit.

Taking him to vets at 5.15 to his usual vet. Gonna demand they give his antibiotic injection and a gut stimulant. he has just ate some more apple but his breathing becomes more heavier now when he eats and this didn't happen this morning so he is getting worse. He still not poo'd since about 9am this morning on the way to the vet. is willing to eat little bits every now and then but.

We are steaming the bathroom up at the moment to see if can help him a bit.

Will they be able to admit him ?

Will they be able to admit him ?

Been to vets, he saw same person as did this morning. She said they can't admit him as no one there. It's Companion Care.

I asked her to give him a gut stimulant and injection antibiotic but she gave oral ones. She listened to his lungs and said he not worser than this morning.

His temperture was 39. She gave him some fluids under the skin and he isn't dehydrated though as i thought. On way to vets he done 5 poos of a goodish size for how poorly he is or isn't. They were little bit moist to so hopefully good sign there fluid in his gut.

I asked her waht she thinks is wrong whether it that he got some fluid in lung during op - she said if did this snuffly thing would of shown its self soon after not during the night.

She said could be that he is carrrier of pasturella a nd that the op and stress has brought it out!?!

Basically she aint got clue as not a bunny savvy vet.

He has to go back tomorrow at 2 but if he worsens than we will take him to my vet hospital. At the moment he is eating apple and cleaning himself and hopping around. He is spritley and clear sparkly eyed. he is not as snuffly as earlier.

Before took him to the vet we gave him a steam room and it did help he wasn't so nasaly congested but you could hear like a weazing with a squeeking that is coming from his nose.

Vet is bloody useless.

I staying here to keep an eye on him for them.

My brother is going to leave the vets and come to where I take Polo at Animed where they have some bunny savvy vets and they have a proper hospital 24/7.

Hopefully a few steam treatments and some rest and time will help then. He doesnt sound like he needs admitting IMO.
Do you know if he was intubated for the op? i.e. did they put a tube down his throat and anaesthetise him with gas, or was he only injected? Its a lot less likely that he has inhaled fluid during the op if he was injected.
Hoping he perks up and starts pooing properly soon!

Hopefully a few steam treatments and some rest and time will help then. He doesnt sound like he needs admitting IMO.
Do you know if he was intubated for the op? i.e. did they put a tube down his throat and anaesthetise him with gas, or was he only injected? Its a lot less likely that he has inhaled fluid during the op if he was injected.
Hoping he perks up and starts pooing properly soon!

I just spoke to Sue from Southampton rabbit Rescue, and I told her that he was put under using just a mask. ( i read off the computer screen what they done and all drugs given during op)

She said that it hopefully is due to aneathtising (sp) him via a mask as she has encountered this before and nursed them better. he is sounding a lot better and started eating some hay. So he back to vets tomorrow at 2pm and Sue said if in morning he is worse or we want her to check her any way than we can take him to her to check him over.

In hospital at my bunny savvy vets

Took Bruno in at 4am this morning. He had started eating pellet and hay and drinking water yesterday evening but still hadn't passed any poos since 5pm when he passed 5. At about 11pm last night when i left my brothers he went into his tunnel bright eyed and bushy tailed still with food and water in his belly but still snuffly and noisey breathing. he since then stayed in the tunnel still no poos, he had pee'd in the tunnel, and had not eaten and now refusing all food and water. I arrived at my brothers at 4am to find him looking bright eyed and bushy tailed but in the tunnel still and breathing noisley. he came out to see me and hopped around, I felt his tummy and it felt soft and could feel the food inside. His plums look ok but can see where he has been at his left plum as it seems a tiny weeny bit weepy so all may not be well. Found he had wee'd and that he is passing cecals and eating them but no normal poo's.

I phoned my vet's Hospital and told them situation about other useless vet and said were bringing him in to them and want to register with you.

Saw the vet and she totally contradicted the other vets and agreed with everything I said about how they should of treated him and given him jabs. So was pleased.

They are gonna get him on a drip and start with injecting meds. he has mites on his lower back which other vet knew but still operated when obviously already could be stressed.

She said she never heard of buns getting this snuffly nose etc from just being put under by gas mask, but Sue who runs a rescue with tonnes of sick buns and is a vet nurse in a vets has seen it on many occasions. The vet listened to his lungs and said his lungs sound fine and it appear to be all coming from his nasal passages. There is no discharge from his nose or eyes. his tummy felt fine no blockages and had some sound.

Fingers crossed this is going to go away or it could be that the stress has brought out Pasturella or something. I don't know a lot about it but I seen Sue's poorly buns with bad strains of it and the ones that have died from it as they so bad and anti's not working and in end as no quality of life had to be helped to the bridge.

But I hope if this is Pasturella that when he better if will go back into hiding, don't know whether this can happen but I hope so.

Still at least now Bruno in a good vets where hopefully he will come out in good health. he had a bad life up untill I rescued him a few months ago and he deserves a nice healthy life.

Paws crossed and please send lots of vibes his way :D

He came from this and yes that is a loaf of bread in the bag still.
Photo0894.jpg

:love:
Photo0901.jpg

Last edited:
Back