• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it mating season for bunnies or something?...

lilbel

Warren Scout
...my two girls are "at it like rabbits" at the moment.

They have both been spayed...well, Lilly turned out to be a hermaphrodite so she is a bit of both. :shock:

As Lily is a bit of both I can kind of understand her trying it with Bella... but now Bella is doing it to Lilly! :roll:
Lilly tries to run away but Bella holds onto her fur with her teeth and she keeps pulling some of Lilly's fur out! :(

Is there anything I can do? Or is this just how they are?

xx

Technically the 'breeding season' would be spring but rabbits are known for their randyness all year round! I don't know anything about hemaphradite buns - is it possible for her to be castrated too? If so I'd get that done.

It might be that they're trying to settle who's dominant. Is there any reason (illness of the dominant rabbit maybe?) that the previously submissive bun might be 'trying it on'?

Hiya,

Thanks for the response.

Lilly has been spayed and castrated. Expensive business but was safer for her. :)

Lilly was always the very dominate bun, but that may have been because she had manly parts. :lol:

They are pretty much as bad as each other now and run round and round the room after each other.
I'm just worried about the amount of fur Bella is pulling out of Lilly's back, although it is not visible on Lilly yet, Bella does get quite a mouthful! :shock:

They both seem to be fit and healthy at the moment.
They are still only 7 months old. Do you think it may still be trying to work out who's dominant at that age then?

xx

Hiya,

Thanks for the response.

Lilly has been spayed and castrated. Expensive business but was safer for her. :)

Lilly was always the very dominate bun, but that may have been because she had manly parts. :lol:

They are pretty much as bad as each other now and run round and round the room after each other.
I'm just worried about the amount of fur Bella is pulling out of Lilly's back, although it is not visible on Lilly yet, Bella does get quite a mouthful! :shock:

They both seem to be fit and healthy at the moment.
They are still only 7 months old. Do you think it may still be trying to work out who's dominant at that age then?
xx

I agree this sounds more like working out the pecking order, probably a good idea to keep an eye on them in case they do get a bit heated, I would imagine they are still adolescent at the moment so personally, I would keep an eye on them with this, maybe offer some distraction's if possible but, not so they associate it as a 'reward' if you see what mean.:wave:

Hiya,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

I thought it may have something to do with that! :)

They still seem really happy with each other. I was just worried they would annoy each other so much that they would fight. But they still like a snuggle together every night!! :D:love:

Thanks so much again for your help. :)

my little doe was the size of a mini lop and would jump on the back of her frenchie hubby and hump him senseless if she felt he was getting out from under her thumb:lol:

its pseudo humping...all a dominance thing.......some buns are worse than others for it. my frenchie doe would hump her smaller frenchie hubby if so much as hed been spoken to by us or given a cuddle..this is mine shed say to us...and to him...youre my b***h now:lol:

Back