• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving a rabbit shed/playhouse....advise!

mimi g

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I am looking at moving my rabbits outdoors very shortly now I have the pennies for nice accommodation. The plan was for a shed or playhouse with a large permanent run, something quite luxourious.
However, my partners job has taken off recently and he is spending more time away from home and there may be the opportunity of relocating to make things easier (this will only be over the Pennines to Lancashire).

He has now said that a shed/playhouse will not be suitable as it is a one time construction so we wont be able to take it with us and I am best looking at hutches as a temporary measure….the prob I am facing is that one of my 2 rabbits while still young is a frenchie and is going to be a BIG girl so I didn’t really want to put her in a hutch.
Also I am finding that any suitable sized hutches for her are just as costly as a shed which seems madness to pay twice (doubt I will have the money twice) especially when a shed is much bigger….I have been looking at 2nd hand hutches as an alternative but rarely finding one over 4ft especially in Yorkshire :censored::cry:

Has anybody ever moved/dismantled a rabbit shed/playhouse and how much of a problem was it?
I really need to accommodate my babies outside before the winter comes as the move might be in 6mths, it could be 12mths, but we are facing living with my partners parents for a while to get on our feet again so I need my buns to be used to the outdoors as they cannot live indoors in another persons house.

Any advise would be fab :wave::D xxx

I've never taken a shed apart, but just recently me and my boyfriend put a shed together with the intention of being able to take it apart. It did require a little bit of modification, and we used screws in some places instead of the nails provided so it was easier to unscrew apart.

I believe other people have taken them apart, esp those who have bought second hand etc.

The biggest hutch I know of to by is the really big hutch from Forsham - never seen it in the flesh though, but I am still quite tempted to buy one for Cloggs (only in the thinking stage, it's large and would take up a lot of space in ones garden).

Good luck with finding suitable accomodation.

Regards

Hannah

I bought a small playhouse (4ft x 4ft), which could easily be lifted up and taken in one piece (access from the garden permitting obv)

Alternatively, as Hannah says, you could just take a larger shed apart

My local shed supplier said that they would move a shed at a cost of 30% of the shed price, and reassemble it in the new property.

Aww this is all good news!
Although my OH seems to be getting more and more miffed by how much of the garden I want to use..:roll:
Well we dont do much out there so the bins might as well put it to use! x

we got ours off freecycle as lovely man was upgrading it was nailed together but with careful work it was taken apart by my hubby at his house we just needed to make new floor as it was rotten, my hubby has now done screws and bolts on all panels so its easy to take apart we have placed hutch inside so that can be taken out easily the only thing is the cupboard on wall and shelves which are all put up with same type of screws and bolts for easy dismantling if ever needed :wave:

Just realised I put Bins above instead of Buns :lol:

we got ours off freecycle as lovely man was upgrading it was nailed together but with careful work it was taken apart by my hubby at his house we just needed to make new floor as it was rotten, my hubby has now done screws and bolts on all panels so its easy to take apart we have placed hutch inside so that can be taken out easily the only thing is the cupboard on wall and shelves which are all put up with same type of screws and bolts for easy dismantling if ever needed :wave:

That sounds like a good idea....
I have seen a lovely summerhouse/shed for sale 2nd hand, just need to convince my OH! x

He has now said that a shed/playhouse will not be suitable as it is a one time construction so we wont be able to take it with us and I am best looking at hutches as a temporary measure….
My OH builds shed for a living (hmm guess how I met him.... :lol:) and quite often moves sheds he's built for people so it's not a problem if the shed is of half way decent construction it'll dissemble and go back together no problem.

Back