• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Sooty

My little boy Sooty is poorly i went to the hutches after work yesterday and i could see something wasn't right he was fine in the morning eating well drinking and all the normal signs have been great, but he was having difficulty with his front paws looked like he had no strength at all i held him and he was cold and not good i laid him down for his emergency journey to my vets and he just didn't get up. I really didn't think he would make the night but i rang in this morning and he is alittle brighter they warmed him up and he given him some med which has helped he is still eating so fingers crossed they said he is still very wobbly on his feet. Does anyone have any idea? I had a bad night sleep thinking about my poor Sooty i really am hoping. My two little girls have been away for a couple of days so they don't know yet i dread telling them. Will be contacting vets later for more update.

Yes the vet was pointing towards this but iam so hoping not! As i am also worrid that i have another three rabbits in seperate hutch/runs and a cat. How infectious is it?

Yes the vet was pointing towards this but iam so hoping not! As i am also worrid that i have another three rabbits in seperate hutch/runs and a cat. How infectious is it?

EC is transmitted via spores excreted in an infected Rabbit's urine. So any other Rabbit who has direct contact with or access to the same terrain as the infected Rabbit is considered to be at risk. Therefore Vets often suggest treating 'in contact' Rabbits too.

I think a cat could act as a vector of EC if cat walks through urine contaminated areas (infected Rabbit's urine) and then on to areas used by other Rabbits. EC spores remain viable outside of the host for up to 30 days.

EC is only a risk to humans if they have a suppressed immune system-eg someone on steroids, chemotherapy or someone who has had a spleenectomy.

Thank you for your help, Everything is crossed that this is not the case. At least i have alittle info for when i contact the vets later if this is the case. I have had rabbits all my life and have been so lucky never having had anything like this.

Yes Sooty is doing really well he has got Encephalitozoon Cuniculi, poor little one, he is now back to hoping about and doing well.

Yay im SO glad Sooty is picking up so well :D All too offen EC can be a stubborn and debilitating illness to defeat, hes a lucky boy!

Hope he continues to get better xxxxxxx

Back