• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny owner

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
Hi, I got my first bunny rabbit last Tuesday. I work at a vets and he'd been found wandering the streets and as no one elses wanted him I thought I'd give him a home :D His name is Pipkin and I don't know much about him other than he's a male, not neutered and I think he's between 1-2 years old.

As this is my first rabbit I was looking for some tips. He's currently in a two storey cage (he's slowly learning to use the ramp). I give him a small amount of dwarf rabbit excel a day, he has plenty of hay and toys to play with and so far he's tried broccoli, celery, romaine lettuce, carrot and parsley. He comes out every day for a little run round in the living room and I have given him a groom but not attempted to trim his nails yet!

The main things I want advice on is what veggies are best to feed him and how best is to hold him when I need to trim his nails? I'm also trying to litter train him but not had much luck so far, I have put some hay in his litter tray and some soiled bedding to try and encourage him but he just goes to the toilet to the side of the tray instead! So any tips on litter training would be good too :D

Sorry for the long post, here's some pictures of Pipkin:
P1020952.JPG

P1020955.JPG

P1020957.JPG

Hi, I got my first bunny rabbit last Tuesday. I work at a vets and he'd been found wandering the streets and as no one elses wanted him I thought I'd give him a home :D His name is Pipkin and I don't know much about him other than he's a male, not neutered and I think he's between 1-2 years old.

As this is my first rabbit I was looking for some tips. He's currently in a two storey cage (he's slowly learning to use the ramp). I give him a small amount of dwarf rabbit excel a day, he has plenty of hay and toys to play with and so far he's tried broccoli, celery, romaine lettuce, carrot and parsley. He comes out every day for a little run round in the living room and I have given him a groom but not attempted to trim his nails yet!

The main things I want advice on is what veggies are best to feed him and how best is to hold him when I need to trim his nails? I'm also trying to litter train him but not had much luck so far, I have put some hay in his litter tray and some soiled bedding to try and encourage him but he just goes to the toilet to the side of the tray instead! So any tips on litter training would be good too :D

Sorry for the long post, here's some pictures of Pipkin:
P1020952.JPG

P1020955.JPG

P1020957.JPG

Hi welcome to the forum,

Well done for saving pipkin.

Put the tray where he goes until he knows what it's for. Then move it where you want it when he gets the message.

To clip nails- i do it with bun upside down, using a towel to wrap my bun in. Other people on here may have different advice for you.

I feed cabbage leaves, little bit of brocoli and carrot, little bit of celery, cucumber, mint leaves, basil leaves, corriander so far. I'm not very imaginative with them- i'm sure you will get more advice on this too :) Hope this helps though- take it easy on everything though when you start giving it as it can cause the runs if you give too much veg- if in doubt cut back.

Feed mostly hay , a few pellets- not too much - i was feeding loads before i came here- but about 20 grams of pellets should do. Although lots on here feed 10 grams, if you don't know the buns back ground- do things gradually as most people feed pellet or mix diets that don't know about best practices etc. Myself included was guilty of that.

And mostly good luck- you'll find some great advice here :)
Keep posting :)

Ambience xx

Thankyou for the advice, Pipkin has just started using the ramp in his cage properly today so I'm really pleased with him as wasn't sure how he'd manage it! He climbed upstairs last night, had moved downstairs before I left for work and was upstairs again when I came home at lunch so he's definately realised the ramps there for a reason and not just for sleeping on as he has been doing!

I've only ever had guinea pigs before but rabbits are so different so I'm just getting used to all his funny little ways, we seem to be getting on well with each other though so that's the main thing. Have to take him to have his jabs soon as he was a stray so not too sure when he was last vaccinated, not so sure if he'll be my friend after that! :) I shall be sure to have a good look through the forum when I get home tonight...

Hello and welcome! :wave:You'll get good advice her - I certainly have! :) My bun is not keen on being handles so I take him to the vet for nail clips. :oops::oops:

Back