• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dog cage

laurax1989

Alpha Buck
Bought a huge dog cage for Sarabi to live in, her hutch that she was living in when we got her wasnt suitable at all for her breed so the bigger the cage the better!
But what would u recommend to put on the ground of the cage, we've been using newspapers but she doesn't like them..
Sawdust is too messy as she's indoors.
Any advice?
Thanks

Vet bed is ideal if she's 100% littertrained (though you have to make sure she doesn't chew it). Blankets are easier to wash though. I know what you mean about the woodshavings getting everywhere!

You say 'live in', but you mean just her base right? She does get to free range?

Our two buns have a dog crate as a base, but as they're litter trained, all I put in the bottom is a couple of small animal blankets :) And I used carefresh in their litter tray (soon to be changing to megazorb as carefresh is SUPER expensive!!) and they seem to like sitting on that with some hay :)

At the moment mine have two plastic underbed boxes which fit the bottom of our dog crate perfectly. Later we're going to put their shelf back in which gives them the soft area. At the moment they have something soft outside of their crate.

_IGP8490-vi.jpg

A crate is not big enough for them to live in though. They need more space than that. Ours is merely a base for their litter trays and to put stuff on top of (and to hold their sleepy shelf once we put it back in).

Vet bed is ideal if she's 100% littertrained (though you have to make sure she doesn't chew it). Blankets are easier to wash though. I know what you mean about the woodshavings getting everywhere!

You say 'live in', but you mean just her base right? She does get to free range?

Ive only had her few weeks so she's still learning lots, her previous owner left in her a tiny hutch all day.
She's in the house free roaming the spare bedroom at least 5hours a day and also gets to go explore outside.
The dog crate is better than any hutch i've ever seen.
I bought a fleece to put down but she doesnt like it much.

Last edited:
Back