• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How exactly do I clip matted fur?

Amy.

Alpha Buck
Leo's feet are getting matted again :( They're too solid to tease out so we've bought some clippers!
There are a few things I'm wondering about though...
For starters, he doesn't really like being handled at the best of times, so I thought I could wrap him in a towel and leave the offending leg hanging out, and then sort of cradle him almost upside down?
The other main question is how can I stop the clippers from jamming and getting stuck? Presumably by just doing small clumps at a time?
The clippers vibrate quite a lot when they're switched on as well, so could I practise by holding Leo and putting the other end on him while it vibrates (with the safety thing covering the blades) so he gets used to the feeling and noise of the clippers, or should I just dive in and go for it?

How many people will I need? I'm thinking one to hold Leo- probably me cos I don't trust anyone not to drop him :oops::lol: - and someone else to clip? I don't think I could manage to do it all by myself, especially seeing as I highly doubt he will stay nice and still for me.

I'd prefer not to have to take a trip to the vets as Leo hates it there and always misbehaves (EG taking a ride on the VNs back when she tried to weight him, leaving me to rescue her from the bunny pigback situation she was left in...) and the obvious expense of doing it there. If we can't do it ourselves we'll have to go, but I'd like to avoid that.

Hi, I've never used clippers on my buns before but I do use a very fine flee comb and place it between the skin (as close as you can get, you may have to wiggle it a bit to get it through the matt) and the matted fur, this then acts as a barrier so you cant cut the skin. I then get the sissors and cut away knowing I can't hurt them. I haven't had to do this on their feet but I do have to do this round their 'private parts!'. Hope this helps as my two are both wrigglers so it's always best to do it little and often to stop them getting stressed out. :D

Back