• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit

I went into pets at home, and in my local one they have a few cages for adoption animals, there was a rex rabbit of 10weeks old in there for adoption, her little name ticket said all my friends had been sold and i was the last left.

I brought her home straight away, although she only been in pets at home 24hours before i got her as the day before there was no rabbit in there.

I got her on monday and it is now wednesday, yesterday she did nibble at things and did have a nibble at her bowl of food, but today she turning her nose up at everything i give her, bowl of food, hay, grass, dandelion leaves, apple, carrot, gabbage! and she isnt eating nothing, she is drinking though?

Is she not eating due to the stress of moving around from her home to pets at home to mine? She is hoping around, i let her out in the garden too.

I went into pets at home, and in my local one they have a few cages for adoption animals, there was a rex rabbit of 10weeks old in there for adoption, her little name ticket said all my friends had been sold and i was the last left.

I brought her home straight away, although she only been in pets at home 24hours before i got her as the day before there was no rabbit in there.

I got her on monday and it is now wednesday, yesterday she did nibble at things and did have a nibble at her bowl of food, but today she turning her nose up at everything i give her, bowl of food, hay, grass, dandelion leaves, apple, carrot, gabbage! and she isnt eating nothing, she is drinking though?

Is she not eating due to the stress of moving around from her home to pets at home to mine? She is hoping around, i let her out in the garden too.

Is she still pooing and weeing?

This is very important, if she's stopped eating, she could be going into Stasis, where her stomach basically stops, in which you case you NEED to get her to the vets.

You shouldn't really feed a baby rabbit all of the food you have quite yet, as her stomach is extremely volatile, new foods should be fed gradually to monitor their reaction.

Let us all know.

Gray

EDIT: i've just read my thread and it seems a bit short and aggressive, sorry :(

If you can get the answers to the above questions, it may be worth while getting her to the vets still. She's very young still so lots of foods could of upset her stomach.

Last edited:
She needs to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away!
Bunnies go down hill VERY quickly and react badly to stress and as you said moving house is a very stressful experience.
She sounds like she has gone in to statis which is when the gut slows down to a stop and if not treated immediatly with gut stimulant drugs, pain relief and fluids she may not make it.
Bunnies have such a delicate digestive system which HAS to remain active for the bun to stay healthy.
Please rush her to the vets asap.

She needs to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away!
Bunnies go down hill VERY quickly and react badly to stress and as you said moving house is a very stressful experience.
She sounds like she has gone in to statis which is when the gut slows down to a stop and if not treated immediatly with gut stimulant drugs, pain relief and fluids she may not make it.
Bunnies have such a delicate digestive system which HAS to remain active for the bun to stay healthy.
Please rush her to the vets asap.

Why do other people have much better ways of saying what i want to say?

Ditto to what rachylou says - straight to the vets!

When i brang her home i only gave her what she had at the pet shop which is Hay and rabbit food, thats all she had yesterday too, but today ive only gave her all that to see if she will eat anything

When i brang her home i only gave her what she had at the pet shop which is Hay and rabbit food, thats all she had yesterday too, but today ive only gave her all that to see if she will eat anything

Okay, so its probably stress that's caused it.

The same still stands, she needs to go to a vet immediately i'm afraid, this sounds all too common and your bun could go downhill *very* quickly. Please take her to the vets asap.

:/ well i guess i will have to give the rabbit back or give it to the vets as i cant afford £100's of pounds today, im only 18 i dont even work! i didnt think i would get a sick rabbit!?

:/ well i guess i will have to give the rabbit back or give it to the vets as i cant afford £100's of pounds today, im only 18 i dont even work! i didnt think i would get a sick rabbit!?

Priority would be the vets, then you can speak to the pet shop to get them to help towards the cost perhaps?

Vets wonts money now and then, the pet shop i got her from they didnt sell her to me, she was an adoption, she come from 'Pets at Home' the money i paid for her is non refundable!

Vets wonts money now and then, the pet shop i got her from they didnt sell her to me, she was an adoption, she come from 'Pets at Home' the money i paid for her is non refundable!

Unfortunately, having a pet does come with certain responsibilities, e.g, vets bills, food, housing etc.

I don't really know what to say, but i'm concerned for this buns health and she NEEDS to see a vet :(

Yes i do understand that with buying a rabbit i need to think of vet bills etc, but i didnt think the rabbit i brought from a well known pet shop would sell me a sick rabbit!
She is adorable, her hutch was completely cleaned out today so i could see if there was any droppins or urine, and i can say i cleaned her out about 11 and there isnt any droppings or urine?

How much is the vet going to charge!

Yes i do understand that with buying a rabbit i need to think of vet bills etc, but i didnt think the rabbit i brought from a well known pet shop would sell me a sick rabbit!
She is adorable, her hutch was completely cleaned out today so i could see if there was any droppins or urine, and i can say i cleaned her out about 11 and there isnt any droppings or urine?

How much is the vet going to charge!

The Pet Store didnt sell you a sick rabbit. Your rabbit has become sick through the stress of moving home.

I can't tell you how much the vet will charge, but perhaps if you tell us where you are we can recommend a vet and then you could call them and ask basically how much it would be?

She does have a very podgy belly looks and feels as if she is pregnant! she was like that the day i got her i live in Havant in Hampshire

This could become a very complicated thing to deal with over the internet, VERY quickly. Your bun could be going into stasis and she could be pregnant.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...ant&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=vets+in+hava&gs_rfai=

That link shows the closest vets to you. May i suggest you give them a call and explain what you have told us and ask about costs etc?

We only want what is best for your bun and to help you.

Yes i no and i want the best for her to thankyou, but it really makes me think as when i got her they told me she was a boy, she was for my other rabbit who is a boy to be mates, but my other rabbit just wanted to hump so before anything was done i checked the new rabbit to find she was actually a girl!

From what i understand from the site, female rabbits are better company for male rabbits, so although they would need to done, it would probably work out for the best.

I got my bunny from exactly the same place. Unfortunately, the adoption rabbits are not actually sold by Pets at Home. They are just looked after there and advertised on behalf of a rabbit charity. The donation you gave went to the charity (even if it went through the till) not to Pets at Home. It may be worth taking her back to Pets at Home to see if they can help. If you look online, some of them particularly, and i think the Portsmouth and Chichester ones, have a vets onsite.

Also, if you are on benefits, try looking for a PDSA vet, they generally provide funding to treat sick pets for people on low incomes.

This bun needs to go to the vets. If she's only ten weeks old, I think it's unlikely that she's pregnant but it's not entirely impossible. I'd assume she's bloated because of gas. Stasis causes the tummy to swell up. She'll be very uncomfortable and if she hasn't eaten for a few days, her tummy function will be virtually nothing. Rabbits have a rather odd digestive system which needs to be doing something ALL the time to function correctly.

She really needs to go to a vet as soon as possible. I'm afraid it's your responsibility to take her. P@H sold her to you healthy, this is a side effect of stress (which isn't anyone's fault, it just happens sometimes).

I know of a few people on RU who have bought animals from P@H that have become ill quite quickly and after a polite chat with the store manager, they've had their vet bills paid. I *think* P@H animals come with a weeks gaurentee against illness too. You should have been given a little booklet with care information in it when you bought her, see what it says in there.

Also, whatever you decide, you cannot put an unneutered rabbit in with your other one for company. Two boys will fight and a boy and a girl will breed. If you want to get your older bunny a friend, he must be neutered first.

Back