• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit housing-

rach-louise

Young Bun
Hi (again:lol:)
A lot of people have been saying a Rabbit needs a 6x2 hutch. However i have just read this on the Coventry and Rabbit Sanctuary Website......

RABBITS NEED A MEDIUM SIZED HUTCH. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO LARGE AS THEY CANNOT KEEP WARM IN IT. 4 FOOT IS SUITABLE WITH A 6 FOOT RUN.

THE RUN SHOULD BE ATTACHED TO THE HUTCH TO ENABLE THE RABBIT TO HAVE THE FREEDOM OF GOING IN AND OUT AS THEY CHOOSE

ALTHOUGH GRASS IS THE MOST NATURAL FOR THEM TO LIVE ON, IT IS NOT PRACTICAL. NOR IS IT CLEAN. THEIR DROPPINGS TURN THE GRASS INTO MUD AND THE FLYS ENJOY LANDING IN IT. IF NOT CLEANED UP QUICKLY FLYS WILL LAY EGGS ON THE MESS AND WHEN THE RABBIT RETURNS TO THE TOILET AREA, THE EGGS HAVING HATCHED, THE MAGGOTS WILL ENTER HIS REAR END AND YOU HAVE THE START OF FLYSTRIKE. MAGGOTS WILL EAT THE FLESH FROM A RABBIT AND IT DIES OF SHOCK WITHIN 24 HOURS.

CONCRETE OR SLABS ARE EASIER TO DISINFECT AND THEIR DROPPINGS ARE REMOVED QUICKLY.

KEEPING A RABBIT IN A HUTCH ONLY IS CRUEL!!! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT AN ANIMAL REMEMBER YOU HAVE A DUTY OF CARE. ALL ANIMALS SHOULD EXPERIENCE A KIND AND LOVING PLACE TO LIVE.

This states a 4ft hutch is ok if you have a run-is this right? Also find it a bit odd that it would say Rabbits need a Medium sized hutch as all other advice says the larger the better? Also any opinion about Rabbits being on grass? Surley they spend most of their daytime on grass??

Hi (again:lol:)
A lot of people have been saying a Rabbit needs a 6x2 hutch. However i have just read this on the Coventry and Rabbit Sanctuary Website......

RABBITS NEED A MEDIUM SIZED HUTCH. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO LARGE AS THEY CANNOT KEEP WARM IN IT. 4 FOOT IS SUITABLE WITH A 6 FOOT RUN.

THE RUN SHOULD BE ATTACHED TO THE HUTCH TO ENABLE THE RABBIT TO HAVE THE FREEDOM OF GOING IN AND OUT AS THEY CHOOSE

ALTHOUGH GRASS IS THE MOST NATURAL FOR THEM TO LIVE ON, IT IS NOT PRACTICAL. NOR IS IT CLEAN. THEIR DROPPINGS TURN THE GRASS INTO MUD AND THE FLYS ENJOY LANDING IN IT. IF NOT CLEANED UP QUICKLY FLYS WILL LAY EGGS ON THE MESS AND WHEN THE RABBIT RETURNS TO THE TOILET AREA, THE EGGS HAVING HATCHED, THE MAGGOTS WILL ENTER HIS REAR END AND YOU HAVE THE START OF FLYSTRIKE. MAGGOTS WILL EAT THE FLESH FROM A RABBIT AND IT DIES OF SHOCK WITHIN 24 HOURS.

CONCRETE OR SLABS ARE EASIER TO DISINFECT AND THEIR DROPPINGS ARE REMOVED QUICKLY.

KEEPING A RABBIT IN A HUTCH ONLY IS CRUEL!!! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT AN ANIMAL REMEMBER YOU HAVE A DUTY OF CARE. ALL ANIMALS SHOULD EXPERIENCE A KIND AND LOVING PLACE TO LIVE.

This states a 4ft hutch is ok if you have a run-is this right? Also find it a bit odd that it would say Rabbits need a Medium sized hutch as all other advice says the larger the better? Also any opinion about Rabbits being on grass? Surley they spend most of their daytime on grass??

If the run is permanently attached, that would be fine, but they should never be locked in it.

The bit about grass is crazy, a rabbits natural food is grass, thats why they 'graze'. If your bun is litter trained also, a litter tray could be used.

Not that i wan't to go against a rescue or anything!

Thank you.
I am finding it a little strange-are they actually recommending it's better to keep a Bun on slabs than grass?:shock:

Just gave them a call to enquire about any Rabbits they have and i asked about them being paired-and they said they don't need to be??? Depends how much time you spend with them?
Think i am going to start going by what i think as it seems eveyones opinions are different!:lol:

The bit about hutch size is crazy... I can see their point about the grass getting poops and mud/flies etc... so a run on permanent slabs is better and grass time separately.

I agree I wouldn't want to go against a presumably knowledgeable sanctuary but this does strike me as a bit odd. The comment about grass surely only applies if you had the run on grass in one place and never moved it (or cleaned it).
And it would have to be either a very small piece of grass or have unlitter trained buns on it for a very long time for there to be enough poo to start causing problems. Mine are out on grass 12 hours+ a day - they use their litter tray in the house end so theres no poo on the grass because thats what they want to eat and lie about on.
It would certainly be easier (for the human) to keep buns on concrete.
The bit about not keeping warm - well surely they should be advocating suitable bedding material and the fact that more than one bun will have a friend(s) to snuggle up to and keep warm.
I do agree with the 'keeping a rabbit in a hutch only is cruel' - if its the sort of 'medium sized hutch' that they have advocated. They obviously haven't seen how people on RU keep their buns!!!

Back