• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my rabbit blind?

theshock

New Kit
Yesterday I accidently took my rabbit's picture with flash on.

I wanted to test if she was blind so I took my finger near my rabiit's eyes. She

doesn't close her eyes..

Is there any chance my rabbit has gone blind?

How can I test that?

I had the same fears with Louie. I tried the quickly poking my finger towards his eye test, no reaction, also dropping a cotton wool ball in front of him, so it makes no sound, no reaction again.

When I took him for his Myxo jab, I voiced my concerns to the vet. He tested the eyes by shining a bright torch in them. His pupils showed no reaction whatsoever to the light.

The vet thinks Louie has no sight in either eye and that, as the eyes themselves look completely normal, then it is something he was born with and is to do with the eyes not receiving messages from the brain.

Poor Buns :(

Does Louie still act like a normal bun though lily? Is he able to hop / binky around etc?

I had the same fears with Louie. I tried the quickly poking my finger towards his eye test, no reaction, also dropping a cotton wool ball in front of him, so it makes no sound, no reaction again.

When I took him for his Myxo jab, I voiced my concerns to the vet. He tested the eyes by shining a bright torch in them. His pupils showed no reaction whatsoever to the light.

The vet thinks Louie has no sight in either eye and that, as the eyes themselves look completely normal, then it is something he was born with and is to do with the eyes not receiving messages from the brain.

I never knew that! Aw bless Louie. It obviously doesn't effect your cheeky boy though ;)

Poor Buns :(

Does Louie still act like a normal bun though lily? Is he able to hop / binky around etc?

Hell yes :lol::lol: He doesn't jump up on things because he doesn't realise he can and he sometimes loses his bearings and ends up bashing into things.

He races round loads and does tons of binkies though the steps into the garden sometimes trip him up!

that is just so adorable! i never realised a blind bun could live such a normal life! :love:

I suppose that it's easier for Louie as he has never known any difference. Probably harder if they can see and then go blind :(

I never knew that! Aw bless Louie. It obviously doesn't effect your cheeky boy though ;)

The worst thing is how easily he startles, you have to start talking to him BEFORE you enter the room where he is as he tends to go into panic mode and knock everything flying racing around terrified.

His hearing is soooo good though, he can hear you rattling the carrot crunchers from miles away! :lol:

This is what Bailey has though it only seems to be on one side not both. He uses his nose alot a bit like a dog to suss out where things are.

The worst thing is how easily he startles, you have to start talking to him BEFORE you enter the room where he is as he tends to go into panic mode and knock everything flying racing around terrified.

The first time Bailey did this he did the scream. I've never felt so bad in my life. Now I make sure I talk when I approach from his off side.

The first time Bailey did this he did the scream. I've never felt so bad in my life. Now I make sure I talk when I approach from his off side.

Awful isn't it, it's just their blind panic at not knowing who or what is going into the room :( It makes me sad as they must get so scared when they can't see what's going on.

He didn't do so well at my first bonding attempt, the girly was too active, zooming around and startling him. He now has two very laid back wifebuns though and is much more settled.

Hello

Thanks for the replies

I feel so sorry for Louie..

I'm afraid my rabbit(she doesn't have a name yet) is also blind.

I should take my rabbit to the vet right away.

Thanks guys...

Yesterday I accidently took my rabbit's picture with flash on.

I wanted to test if she was blind so I took my finger near my rabiit's eyes. She

doesn't close her eyes..

Is there any chance my rabbit has gone blind?

How can I test that?

Rabbits don't have a blink reflex like us so you can touch the eye ball before you get a reaction. This is why you often find them with fur stuck to the eyeball and it's not bothering them, where if it was you or me your eye would be watering and hurt a lot.
So don't just assume that your rabbit is blind get it properly checked out when your next at the vets like Lily and Amy have done.

Rabbits don't have a blink reflex like us so you can touch the eye ball before you get a reaction. This is why you often find them with fur stuck to the eyeball and it's not bothering them, where if it was you or me your eye would be watering and hurt a lot.
So don't just assume that your rabbit is blind get it properly checked out when your next at the vets like Lily and Amy have done.

I feel very relieved. We don't have many vets who can take care of rabbits around here. I'm planning on going out of city next week to meet a vet.

Thanks for the replies

I feel so sorry for Louie..

I'm afraid my rabbit(she doesn't have a name yet) is also blind.

I should take my rabbit to the vet right away.

Thanks guys...

Aww there's no need to feel sorry for him, he has a full and happy life!

Good luck at the vets :D:wave:

Please remember that a bunny's eyesight isn't as important to them as to us.
They are blind for a short distance immediately to the front & have a very narrow range of 3D vision. They have a large range of 2D vision almost right behind them & above, but it mainly detects movement. They can't see what they are eating :shock: They rely heavily on smell (it's how they identify us as individuals) & of course hearing. My bun isn't blind. He relies a lot on an internal map, of where furniture is. He gets quite cross if I move it, or put something new on the floor.

I even wore a pair of "rabbit trousers" for far too long at first so he got used to my smell. I don't use perfumes in any form. I think if you concentrate on sound & smell & not moving things round your bun will soon feel secure with you.

The 'menace response' (blinking in response to an advancing finger) is a learned response seen in many mammals. Rabbits do not necessarily have the same response as they have different innate responses to fear that override some of their responses. Neurological examinations are a nightmare! This can even extend to the pupillary light response where when a bunny is stressed, their internal adrenaline overrides their pupil constriction.
So, don't panic that your rabbit doesn't respond, this is seen in normal rabbits from time to time but certainly take them for a complete evaluation at the vet to make sure there are no problems with his visual axis.

Back