• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit wont use the ramps in the new hutch!? help plzzz

Gemma1990

New Kit
I brought a new 2 level hutch yesterday, and my rabbit wont use the ramp to get up or down. I have placed food on the ramp/stairs but she is very clever and reaches up to get to the food without actually using the stairs lol. Will she just do it when shes ready? or what else will encourage her to use the ramp? im worried she may never use the ramp.
please help :) xx

Mine were exactly the same for the first day. By day two they were both scampering up and down albeit in a very noisy and clumsy way :lol: Don't worry they are more clever than you think and will realise what to do soon enough. I did put mine in the top and food on the bottom though so they had to come down first. Once they'd been up the ramp they realised that it actually went somewhere and wasn't just a hole in the roof.

shes very unsure :/ good to hear im not the only one. I might even attempt to box the stairs in so it makes her feel more secure as there i only a small 'hand rail' if that makes sense lol. I did leave the food upstairs but felt guilty so put one top and bottom lol :) x

My rabbits were exactly the same!! However, we discovered that they didn't like the ramp because the wood was too smooth and they slipped on it.

So, we lined the ramp with carpet and they have happily use it all the time now!

I have the same problem. I tried setting up the removable ramp in Spenser's run at a low incline, hoping he would get used to the idea. All he would was go under them. In the hutch, he does manage to get up, but his attempts to get down from the wrong side of the trapdoor made my heart miss a beat. It's such a shame because he is quite a big bunny and his hutch is effectively half the size I intended. :( Good luck persuading your bunny! :wave:

Here is a picture of poor Spenser. He just doesn't get the stairs. This was what happened when I set them up in the run, hoping he might get used to the idea. The incline when they are in the hutch is much steeper. :(
P7030391.jpg

aww spencer is very cute :)
i dont know if she will ever use the stairs, i might try to carpet them to see if that helps :)

Back