• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kimmy & Angelika have fallen out - Updated!!!

kerina

Warren Scout
My beautiful girlies had a disagreement about something last night, despite being together from birth :cry:

They are now seperated.

It is so sad to see them apart - it just doesn't feel right. When I finally went to bed last night, I switched my phone off, only to see the photo of them together that is my screen saver. It breaks my heart to think of them not together. I can hardly bear it.

Hopefully it is only temporary though, although I really don't have a clue what to do next :(

I would like to say a big thank you to Honeybunnies Jill for being my advice and support last night. Jill has recommended I speak with Tracey at Rugby for advice on re-bonding them.

I'll keep you all posted

Kerina x

Last edited:
Awwww, that's a shame. :( They've been together for so long too. I hope they can put their differences behind them and live together happile again. :love:

Thanks Karen

I feel numb - I can't bear the thought of them never being together again.

After the initial fight, which we broke up quite quickly, I phoned Jill for advice. We put them in a small pen in the corner of the kitchen with food and a cardboard box and they were absolutely fine with each other. They ate together, laid down together, all as per normal.

So I put them back in the hutch, thinking i'd managed to rescue the situation. They were fine whilst I was watching them - Angelika was grooming Kimmy, then as soon as my back was turned, they started again.

I had to admit defeat and seperate them, which is how they still are now, as I am at work.

I think i'm going to try them again in the kitchen tonight and see how it goes. My problem is that I work full time, and even if they were okay in the hutch for a few hours, I couldn't trust them all day whilst I'm out, or all night - I need to sleep because I have to go to work.

I just don't know what to do and can't believe my babies don't love each other anymore, after 2 and half years together.

Kerina

Was there any trigger for them falling out, any new animals in the house, had you been with other rabbits? Maybe get a vet check to rule out illness in one causing an upset in the balance?

Hi Kerina..so sad they fell out

just to add the reason I recommended Tracy is she is the next nearest rescue that I know is good at bonding..we are so full at present I can't offer to help for a few weeks

here's the link to Tracy's web site Kerina
http://www.rngp.org/

if you are going to try them again why not wait until you are home from work on Friday..then you have the weekend to watch them

Was there any trigger for them falling out, any new animals in the house, had you been with other rabbits? Maybe get a vet check to rule out illness in one causing an upset in the balance?

I've not been near any other rabbits, and no new animals in the house. I just put them out in the run on the lawn as I would normally.

When I checked them over after the fight, Angelika was fine, but one of Kimmy's back claws was bleeding as it had been ripped. Whether she did that during the fight, or whether she did that whilst binkying, and then blamed Angelika? For all I know, Angelika might have ripped it? I just don't know. We were in the kitchen eating dinner when we heard the clanging of the sides of the run (as it is metal). My OH looked out, expecting to see them binkying (which is what is usually going on when you hear the run clanging), to see Kimmy chasing Angelika and pulling her fur - she was trying to bite her on her side. There were no cats in the garden, or anything that could have spooked them.

They are both eating absolutely fine, and pooing/weeing/drinking fine as well. They both had VHD and Myxi jabs at the end of May and both had their nails trimmed and general health checks i.e. ears, nose, teeth, genitals/bottom etc and were fine. Both bums are perfectly clean.

There is absolutely nothing to indicate one of them is ill??

Hi Kerina..so sad they fell out

just to add the reason I recommended Tracy is she is the next nearest rescue that I know is good at bonding..we are so full at present I can't offer to help for a few weeks

here's the link to Tracy's web site Kerina
http://www.rngp.org/

if you are going to try them again why not wait until you are home from work on Friday..then you have the weekend to watch them

Thanks for this Jill - I will get her phone number and ring her tonight. I was going to try them again tonight, just for an hour, simply because they can't even see each other now they are seperated, and as they were okay in the kitchen last night, it might help them to stay half bonded??! They look so sad apart - it's like they are looking for each other. I asked them this morning "why have you girlies fallen out?" Funnily enough, they didn't answer!

The trouble is, this weekend i'm out all day Saturday, and Sunday afternoon - next weekend is much clearer for me. I'll ring Tracy when I get home and see what she thinks is best.

Maybe they started again last night when I put them back in the hutch because Kimmy's claw was hurting her a bit and she still blamed Angelika?

I'm clutching at straws aren't I?!

Kerina

I would be gutted if Alfie and Bubbles had a fall out, so I can understand how upsetting it must be. :(

I'm not sure what's best really, to keep them completely apart until you can rebond or to have them side by side, where they can still see each other but not fight.

Hopefully Tracy will be able to help. :)

Hi Everyone

Had a good long chat with Tracy last night, and Kimmy and Angelika are going on a holiday to stay with Auntie Tracy for some re-bonding.

I'm taking them on Monday night after work.

Please can everyone cross their fingers for them and send good re-bonding vibes!!

In the meantime, they were out in adjacent runs last night so they can see each other and nuzzle through the seperating fence. They had to go in their hutches overnight, as the runs aren't secure enough for overnight. They can't see each other when they're in the hutches.

I put them out again this morning for an hour and half before work. Whenever i'm in, i'll put them in the runs so they can see each other.

My mum is coming with me on Monday night when I take them to Auntie Tracy's, so i'm going to put them in one carrier together for the journey (hopefully to get the bonding off to a good start), but take the spare carrier. Then, if they kick off during the journey, mum can help me to separate them into the two carriers.

I'm being optimistic at the minute, but we'll see what happens next week!

Kerina

Our two males were together from birth, had a big fight, lived separately for a few months, hated each other through the wire, then rebonded after an intense bonding session. They are now happily together again.

It's very upsetting but I am sure your's will rebond ok. It may have been illness or something that frightened them. We still don't know what set ours off - they went to bed ok, but the next morning were scrapping big time. I now wish we had done an intense re-bond immediately, but instead we half-heartedly tried them together and they seemed to be trying to kill each other, so we separated them until we had time to do it properly.

Honestly, if our two can rebond there is hope for anybody.

Good luck Have my fingers crossed for you! Tracey is wonderful so hopefully you should have some good news soon.

i would be so upset if Carlo and Bobby fell out

Tinker and Dexter fell out last week, I left Dex downstairs in the pen overnight with my son sleeping on the sofa to keep him company, and I took Tinker up to my bedroom for the night.

Chopped all their food up small for a change in the morning and put it in a bowl in the middle of the kitchen floor, put Tinker one side, Dexter the other.. they've been fine and went straight back together! Dexter will be seeing the plum fairy in a few weeks time methinks :roll::lol:

Back