• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril 0.4ml twice daily- is this normal?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Is it normal to have 0.4 ml twice daily without any gut protexin etc. I have given my bunnies 0.2 ml daily in there water mixed with protexin before, but syringing them this much seems like alot. I was just wondering what measurements vets recommend for infections normally?

Thanks,
Ambience x

It doesn't sound abnormal, no. If anything I'd say 0.2ml is pretty low. I can't remember the concenetration/dose rates offhand but I'm sure Santa has had 0.4ml before now and she's only a nethie. The 'technical' dose rates given in many of the books are now thought to be too low and exotics vets are now giving much higher dose rates (up to 20mg/kg from earlier recommendations of 5mg/kg from memory).

Baytril works better with the whole dosage given once a day though, so it might be worth asking your vet if you can do it once daily to avoid the need to try and syringe it twice, and mention that you've heard (it was Sharon REdrobe who said it at the RWA conference this year) that it works on peak concentration so is better given as a single dose rather than two.

It doesn't sound abnormal, no. If anything I'd say 0.2ml is pretty low. I can't remember the concenetration/dose rates offhand but I'm sure Santa has had 0.4ml before now and she's only a nethie. The 'technical' dose rates given in many of the books are now thought to be too low and exotics vets are now giving much higher dose rates (up to 20mg/kg from earlier recommendations of 5mg/kg from memory).

Baytril works better with the whole dosage given once a day though, so it might be worth asking your vet if you can do it once daily to avoid the need to try and syringe it twice, and mention that you've heard (it was Sharon REdrobe who said it at the RWA conference this year) that it works on peak concentration so is better given as a single dose rather than two.

So is the second lot ineffective? Do you mean 0.5ml per kg? I think my rabbits are just over 2kg that are poorly, same size as sunny who just weighed 3kg with the plastic box he was in.

Again is that 0.20ml per kg? Sorry for all the questions. I thought antibiotics were best taken every 6 hours as a rule. Couldn't really understand how it would be effective on one or even two doses.

Thanks
Ambience x

Elwood is on 2mls once a day, our vet changed to a once a day dose for rabbits last summer. Also means that the poor bunny doesn't have to endure the taste of it twice a day. He isn't having any probiotics or anything extra and is fine :)

My Lily is on 0.6 once a day and she doesnt even weigh a kilo!!
Shes on the same for metacam too...

Meggy had .5 twice a day - she's finished the course now - she's about 1.3kg so not a huge bun.

Better get my scales out just incase :) I think i'm going to just take the initiative and do it once a day- the vet did say it was okay to put it in the water. I have stopped this though, incase it lowers the concentration being watered down.

Does anyone have any views on baytril in water? My bunnys also stop drinking as much when it's in the bottle.

Does anyone find baytril makes matters worse through stress with sensitive bunnies?

Thanks
Ambience xx

My view is that Baytril should never be given in water for any animal. You have no idea what they are taking in, and also it stops them drinking, as the water tastes foul! It's often dosed this way for small animals like mice, and it's almost always ineffective this way (in my experience/view).

I'm currently dosing a hamster twice a day at the moment. Always fun to syringe a hammy! :roll::lol:

I wouldn't put it in water - interestingly the lecture notes from this year's RWA conference (yes, Sharon Redrobe again!) pretty much says it's the worst thing you can do, for the same reason that it is best given once daily - i.e. baytril works on peak concentration in the animal, not at constant low levels. Giving it in water will give the constant low levels and not a one off blast when you give the dose all at once.

Even without this issue that seems to be particular to baytril, you have no idea whether they're getting the right dose and a sick animal may drink more or less water than normal, and baytril tastes revolting so they're unlikely to get anything like the right dose if you do it that way.

I guess it could make it worse in some ways purely because it's a stressful antibiotic to give because of its revolting taste, so that might cause a lot of upset. Another reason for only giving it once daily if your vet agrees, imo :)

Definitely not in water. Baytril has a quite high alkaline ph, 11 or something, so there are certain things you mix it with to sort of neutralise the taste, although i can't remember what those things are, and this was written for rats, so these foods might not be suitable for rabbits anyway!

To give it to my rats I mix it with a little bit of baby food, so they get about a tablespoonful of babyfood twice a day, although I'm not sure how adviseable this would be for bunny tummies though, certainly less stressful than syringing though!

I wouldn't put it in water - interestingly the lecture notes from this year's RWA conference (yes, Sharon Redrobe again!) pretty much says it's the worst thing you can do, for the same reason that it is best given once daily - i.e. baytril works on peak concentration in the animal, not at constant low levels. Giving it in water will give the constant low levels and not a one off blast when you give the dose all at once.

How very interesting... I've never had to give Baytril to any of my buns, but I have given it to my rats, and the consensus with rats is that it should be split into two dosages to keep working throughout the day. Interesting that there is such a difference of opinion between the two, although I suppose that's due to their difference in digestive systems/metabolisms?

Xxx

Last edited:
My view is that Baytril should never be given in water for any animal. You have no idea what they are taking in, and also it stops them drinking, as the water tastes foul! It's often dosed this way for small animals like mice, and it's almost always ineffective this way (in my experience/view).

I'm currently dosing a hamster twice a day at the moment. Always fun to syringe a hammy! :roll::lol:

Thanks yes i bet a hamster is near impossible to give baytril doses too :) That is my other vets that gave it mixed in 70ml of protexin and water. This vet just said put it in the water if i like with no specifications on how much. I do struggle with the baytril twice daily. Patch hates being given it. Blaze is getting better. I turn them upside down to do it. Is this safe for the lungs. I can't get it in them any other way, except with water x

My vet used to recommend putting in water about 15 years ago, I didn't think that it was still advised now a days :?

I would never recommend turning a bunny upside down to give them meds, there is a very high risk of choking :(

Baytril has a quite high alkaline ph, 11 or something, so there are certain things you mix it with to sort of neutralise the taste, although i can't remember what those things are, and this was written for rats, so these foods might not be suitable for rabbits anyway!

To give it to my rats I mix it with a little bit of baby food, so they get about a tablespoonful of babyfood twice a day, although I'm not sure how adviseable this would be for bunny tummies though, certainly less stressful than syringing though!

Xxx

Am i safe syringing them upside down. I did this with adonia for two years until i read somewhere it can do damage to the lungs. Now i'm not so sure. Ph11 is really high. I guess that rebalances the system. I know high alkaline is supposed to be good for the body. I was told ribena, but i couldn't really get my head around giving them it. It is easier for me just to put it in. There is too much for them as it is giving them 0.4mls. They are so fidgety about it.
Thanks for your help on this.

Ambience x

Please don;t turn them upside down to give them meds, it is so dangerous :(

Is it for the reason it can go the wrong way? I don't turn them fully upside down. Just so i can get to there mouths. Any suggestions for giving it, what is the best way to hold etc. I'm on my own doing this daily, so i am limited to what i can do. They also won't eat it off anything or drink water it is in.

x

p.s sorry i read the risk of choking.

How very interesting... I've never had to give Baytril to any of my buns, but I have given it to my rats, and the consensus with rats is that it should be split into two dosages to keep working throughout the day. Interesting that there is such a difference of opinion between the two, although I suppose that's due to their difference in digestive systems/metabolisms?

It makes me wonder about my hamster too, as she's getting it twice a day. :? Although, to be honest, I'm kind of glad I can split the dose, as trying to shoot in twice the amount of Baytril into her mouth the split second that she opens it would be completely impossible! :shock:

I think with piggies I've always given it once a day.

It makes me wonder about my hamster too, as she's getting it twice a day. :? Although, to be honest, I'm kind of glad I can split the dose, as trying to shoot in twice the amount of Baytril into her mouth the split second that she opens it would be completely impossible! :shock:

I think with piggies I've always given it once a day.

how do you give it please sarah. What do you do to get it in there mouths lol :) x

Oh it's more luck than judgement with a hamster, as I haven't really got the technique yet - I just have to make sure she can't bat the syringe away with her front feet (which she's very good at!), and just shoot the syringe in her mouth the second it opens a bit!

With bunnies, there are lots of different ways. I personally find it easiest to get their faces as close to your own as possible, so you can really see their mouths. If I was on my own, I would get on my knees, then put the bun on my knees, have my left hand and arm hooked right round the bun with their front feet raised slightly and back feet still on me (if that makes sense - am really trying to picture this now, but it has been quite a while since I did it) and then shoot the syringe in the side of their mouths with the right hand.

I know some people bend over them to do it, but I personally find I can't see clearly enough what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Back