• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

11 kits help!!

lereme

New Kit
My rabbit had her babies yesterday and i thought there was about 4-5 kits. Had a good look today and there are 11. Will she be able to feed that many? I thought they only had about 6 kits each time, they are all alive some look bigger than others but all wriggling around and warm.

My rabbit had her babies yesterday and i thought there was about 4-5 kits. Had a good look today and there are 11. Will she be able to feed that many? I thought they only had about 6 kits each time, they are all alive some look bigger than others but all wriggling around and warm.

was this an accidental litter? not trying to be judge mental or anything just cuz if it wasnt then why did u breed them without being able to look after so many:? and my rabbit had an accidental litter and she had six i know its not near as much but it was her first and she has been fine. hoping for the best for mum and baby's good luck:D

She will struggle with 11. You have probably 3 options (well, 4, but one is probably a non starter).

1, leave them all with her and the weaker ones will eventually die.

2, try to find a foster mum in the area (a bunny who has given birth around the same time) to see if she will feed some of them.

3, take them all out and rotate them round. So split them into two groups, and work it so she feeds them on rotation. This will depend on the mummy bunny. You would have to be careful. I'm not sure how the best way to do it would be. Maybe each set gets a feed every six hours or something like that.

None of those 3 are really ideal though. The most chance of success will be probably 2- if you can find somebunny.

4- Handrearing is a possibility but it very rarely works. If you want to, I would suggest trying www.rabbitsonline.net and seeing what they say because none of our KMR or goats milk or anything are at all appropriate but they may be able to give you better suggestions.

I have moved the smaller ones to the top of the nest so hopefully they will get a feed, she would allow me to put them on the teat when she is on my knee but I don't know what to do for the best. This was an accidental breeding and entirely my own fault i never slept a wink last night thinking there was 4-5 let alone 11, no wonder she is eating as much. Male has been neutered and has his own cage, looks like a will be nedding a few more hutches for them.

I have moved the smaller ones to the top of the nest so hopefully they will get a feed, she would allow me to put them on the teat when she is on my knee but I don't know what to do for the best. This was an accidental breeding and entirely my own fault i never slept a wink last night thinking there was 4-5 let alone 11, no wonder she is eating as much. Male has been neutered and has his own cage, looks like a will be nedding a few more hutches for them.

Putting the weakest on the top won't do anything because the stronger ones will push them out the way.

You could try holding mum then and allowing the weaker ones an additional feed or two. You're going to have to clearly look at their bellies to see who looks full and who doesn't if you do that.

She is going to be very worn down so she is going to need a perfect diet to help her through this.

Thanks for the help will try and give small ones a feed. Hope it works out. There are ones who have really rounded tummies so they must be the stronger ones.

I have no clue about breeding what-so-ever but I just wanted to post and wish you luck with the babies! 11 is a huge amount!

Is it mum-bun's first litter? Hopefully she will cope ok. I think if it were me, I'd leave all 11 babies with her but do as Sky-O has suggested and try to hold the smaller babies onto mum so you know they're getting fed ok. Make sure mum bun has a good supply of quality food and water too.

Good luck!

Hey, just thought I would mention, there may be another option....

Can you get hold of some milk and give the smallest ones extra feed? I had to do that when my rabbit had an accidental litter, she became so skinny, I was so worried about her, but after a fortnight of keeping them with mum and me extra feeding twice a day, all was fine. They had the benefit of snuggles with bros and sis's and hopefully some milk off mum as well as a bit extra few to them by me. :love:

I think people generally recommend goats milk these days? I used lactose free powder milk back in the day (it was 8 years ago).

Also, you can buy hand rearing teats.... I think Mikki do one, you might be able to buy one at the vets maybe :)

PM is you want any extra help. Good luck!! (ps, give the babies that are the smallest and weakest a bit more when you feed them ;) )

Hey, just thought I would mention, there may be another option....

Can you get hold of some milk and give the smallest ones extra feed? I had to do that when my rabbit had an accidental litter, she became so skinny, I was so worried about her, but after a fortnight of keeping them with mum and me extra feeding twice a day, all was fine. They had the benefit of snuggles with bros and sis's and hopefully some milk off mum as well as a bit extra few to them by me. :love:

I think people generally recommend goats milk these days? I used lactose free powder milk back in the day (it was 8 years ago).

Also, you can buy hand rearing teats.... I think Mikki do one, you might be able to buy one at the vets maybe :)

PM is you want any extra help. Good luck!! (ps, give the babies that are the smallest and weakest a bit more when you feed them ;) )

I think that would come under handrearing because you'd still have to help them wee in those times and you would still be putting something into them that is not ideal and can upset their tummy. The risk os aspiration would also be huge too (that's how most hand reared babies die, hat and the gut conversion).

Goat's milk is not ideal although it is used a lot. It doesn't have the necessary nutrients in.

It might be worth contacting some local breeders if you know of any good ones, I know of a few who have taken on foster babies in emergencies (I've read it in their blogs). I have a few links I think from when I was looking for Toby. Will have look.

i would try and find a foster bunmum :D you coulld have a miracle so dont loose hope:D

Back