• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming a rabbit is it worth it?

andy5898

Warren Scout
Right I bought the panacur stuff to worm my 2 rabbits. They haven't got any but I thought prevention was better than a cure. However after this morning and speaking to this holiday home for rabbits who have said there is no point doing this unless the rabbit has worms and I am wasting my time. I am not happy about how rude they are and my 2 aren't going to stay with them any more.

But do they have a point with the worming stuff is it worth doing or not? My cat I treat just to make sure she doesn't get them but does a rabbit need this treatment. My instinct says yes but I have been left feeling a bit like I have no idea and the rabbit holiday place knows best and I am an idiot for even thinking it!

Right I bought the panacur stuff to worm my 2 rabbits. They haven't got any but I thought prevention was better than a cure. However after this morning and speaking to this holiday home for rabbits who have said there is no point doing this unless the rabbit has worms and I am wasting my time. I am not happy about how rude they are and my 2 aren't going to stay with them any more.

But do they have a point with the worming stuff is it worth doing or not? My cat I treat just to make sure she doesn't get them but does a rabbit need this treatment. My instinct says yes but I have been left feeling a bit like I have no idea and the rabbit holiday place knows best and I am an idiot for even thinking it!

You can worm if they need it or routinely- it's upto you. It doesn't make a difference, it's just personal preference. People have various views on this. I try to worm mine, but they don't like it and it's hard to do, so i end up just wasting tubes of it and having unwormed bunnies. Fingers crossed non of mine have needed it for anything so far.

Ambience xx

The most recent advice from the RWAF is a one off course of 28 days (bleach cclean on days 21 and 28). Personally tho I'd retreat following boarding as they will of been in close proximity to other bunnies who may be carriers.

Yes i would say it is deffinetley worth putting them both on a 28 day course each of panacur, it can be auquard but the best way to do it is to squeeze the paste on to a basil or mint leaf and they should munch it straight up, it save you having to get the syringe in their mouths and is painless and hassle free on both sides ;)

Hi, I'm also puzzled by this. My two "little buns" have both been wormed with Panacur. It was done because my vet said it would help when 1 of my buns was diagnosed with E.C. I had to do both the buns for 28days, it was an absolute:censored: nightmare. I had to measure it out into tiny syinges once a day. I couldn't imagin doing that for all four of my buns. I have looked at buying Panacur from p@h but the instructions seem difficult to understand and I can remember the vet weighing my buns and working out exactly how much to give them, Panacur from shops comes in a large syringe how do you measure it? and would that also have to be for 28 days:?

Bailey you a life saver I really didn't want to have to syringe it into there mouths. I will put it on dandelion which they willl both eat no problems!

Back