• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Please!

Willowzee

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I was told to come here for help by happysaz (hi!).. and a bit of advice.

Firstly I would like to say that I have only just learnt that my rabbits have nowhere near enough space and I already feel awful about it, truly awful.. but I need to rectify that!

Short back story: 2 female rabbits were infact not both female :p and we ended up having more than we bargained for.

Anyway, we kept four babies, and they are currently in a 5ft x 4ft hutch/run combo, totally didn't realise this was too small... although they do free range whilst ppl are home (they are my parents atm, so that's a lot).

We are moving them to my house and I stupidly bought a hutch that is clearly too small its a 4ftx6ft run with a 4ft x 2ft (roughly) hutch. Only realised this when posting on the Piggy forums today.

It's been suggested we get a shed, but OH won't go for that, as most of his garden is already taken up with kids toys and pets, so I was wondering if there were hutch options big enough with runs and free range plans on the garden etc, even if we had to split them into pairs.

It's been suggested I rehome two, which breaks my heart to think about doing (not to mention explaining it to my eldest) but if that's what I have to do for the rabbits to be comfy/happy then I will suck it up, as long as they go to a home that loves them as much as we do!

They have lovely temprements and are gorgeous girls, all friendly and inquisitive and love a snuggle.

Could you please help me?

Many thanks in advance.

Hmm.. what about a double or triple decker hutch? I think the most important thing is can you afford to keep them, and do you have enough time for them all? :wave: only you know the answer to that question.

so you have six rabbits in your current set up ?

i recently got a hutch from pets at home called an orchard manor its 6x3x3 and depending on their size/breed you could also split them 3 or two in each for sleep-eat etc although this means buying two or three set ups. and have a group run built or separate runs .

are they all same sex?

or spayed and or neutered?

its a lot of money to buy a few set ups at once but if you cant afford it might be better to re-home a couple so you can set up well for your remaining rabbits ..:)

Hmm.. what about a double or triple decker hutch? I think the most important thing is can you afford to keep them, and do you have enough time for them all? :wave: only you know the answer to that question.

what i was saying except far more simple lol

and i just saw they are all girls scrap that ? lol sorry

what i was saying except far more simple lol

:lol: I normally ramble on for much longer than what you have ;)

The minimum RSPCA guideline is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for a pair. I think the problem you'd have with splitting them out is figuring out who is most bonded with who, and if they've been together for a while now they could all be bonded?

Also - when they get older they will probably get hormonal and fight so you might have to separate them again.

Hiya!

No, sorry I wasn't clear, the father/mother went in their own hutch the same size, the girls went in another.

They're not babies either, they're nearly 5 and no scrapping in that time.

It's hard to tell who is bonded with who, they all tend to sit in a huddle and run around together. They have been seperated whilst we sorted hutches out before and haven't always been a foursome.

Yes, I have the time and love to put in to them, and the money to care for them, but it's the initial payout of completely new setups that throws a spanner into the works.

I want to do what's best for them, obviously. We love them all to bits and really want to consider rehoming ONLY as a last option, but we simply don't have room for 2 6ftx2ft hutches and then the runs in the garden, I could do a double tier 6fter with an attached run, if that would work, but i've had a quick look and can't find those types of hutches with runs attached. Does anyone have any suggestions for that type of hutch?

Many thanks for your replies and not judging me! I was very nervous posting lol

are they definatly outdoorsy buns? i assume al lare neutered how about them living indoors free range as a large group with dog beds adna litter tray area(no cage) and some hidey holes to go into? this could be a soloution maybe? then obviously yo ucan let tehm out free range in garden whenever you like too?(or have a lockable cat flap for them so can be locked open when you home but shut when you are out?

alternativly a play house maybe converted with a run attatched, or build an avairy prehaps?

you could buy two large 6ft hutches and connect them into an L shape that they could run between even better if they double tiered 6ft hutches? then have a large attatched run? and then have a seperate set up(or indoor set up) for the parents pair? x

i would agree if they are out and about a lot and have been together so long it'd prob be rough on them to split so a two level with run would at least give them more space than they have !
mores better than none in my book but i'm no expert lol
and your right the initial spend is scary lol especially when you've just realised you need to do it i feel for ya :)

Hiya!

No, sorry I wasn't clear, the father/mother went in their own hutch the same size, the girls went in another.

They're not babies either, they're nearly 5 and no scrapping in that time.

It's hard to tell who is bonded with who, they all tend to sit in a huddle and run around together. They have been seperated whilst we sorted hutches out before and haven't always been a foursome.

Yes, I have the time and love to put in to them, and the money to care for them, but it's the initial payout of completely new setups that throws a spanner into the works.

I want to do what's best for them, obviously. We love them all to bits and really want to consider rehoming ONLY as a last option, but we simply don't have room for 2 6ftx2ft hutches and then the runs in the garden, I could do a double tier 6fter with an attached run, if that would work, but i've had a quick look and can't find those types of hutches with runs attached. Does anyone have any suggestions for that type of hutch?

Many thanks for your replies and not judging me! I was very nervous posting lol

how can we judge you the main thing is you know the needs now and want to do the best by your bunnys we are to commend you for wanting the best for them, many (sadly) rabbit owners dont care enough even if they do find out. so well done to you xx

how can we judge you the main thing is you know the needs now and want to do the best by your bunnys we are to commend you for wanting the best for them, many (sadly) rabbit owners dont care enough even if they do find out. so well done to you xx

here here :p

I completely agree with this :) Bunlover has suggested some set ups that sound good xx

I'm glad you joined :)

To keep costs down, this triple decker is a good price...you would need to buy the cover with it too if you wish to keep it outdoors...
http://www.cumfypets.co.uk/giant-6f...-2-hutches-and-a-build-in-under-run-194-p.asp

They sometimes come up cheaper on ebay, I know someone who got one for less than £120. :)

This run is good to go with it...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-x4ft-x2ft...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item27b2aabcec

That's far cheaper than the others suggested. You could put clear plastic or tarpaulin over the run, so the rabbits could be out in it even when its raining or windy.

It's not the ideal solution, but they are decent sized, and I think they would be happy. It would mean they could stay together without taking up too much room :)

If they are all bonded together could you get a 7 x 3 foot double storey hutch and attatch a run to it. Helen has these as her boarding hutches. They aer made in cornwall by a man who has some normal hutches he makes and also makes to order. Whilst they do cost more than the standard hutch they do last and are very well made. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=227610&highlight=pilch&page=2 posting 19. the picture shows a 6 year old 6 x 3 hutch as the top picture and the bottom picture are her 7 x 3's.

To keep costs down, this triple decker is a good price...you would need to buy the cover with it too if you wish to keep it outdoors...
http://www.cumfypets.co.uk/giant-6f...-2-hutches-and-a-build-in-under-run-194-p.asp

They sometimes come up cheaper on ebay, I know someone who got one for less than £120. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-x4ft-x2ft...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item27b2aabcec

That's far cheaper than the others suggested. You could put clear plastic or tarpaulin over the run, so the rabbits could be out in it even when its raining or windy.

It's not the ideal solution, but they are decent sized, and I think they would be happy. It would mean they could stay together without taking up too much room :)

TY for pointing me here!

Silly question, but how would the run fit to the hutch? Or would i have to lug them in and out, atm they are used to free run of the run 24/7 x

TY for pointing me here!

Silly question, but how would the run fit to the hutch? Or would i have to lug them in and out, atm they are used to free run of the run 24/7 x

There would be ways of attaching it. I haven't done it personally, but you can add bits, leave the bottom doors open and make it fit round. I don't explain it very well. Maybe ask with another thread, how to make hutches and runs fit together. :)

I have the double decker version of this hutch and it's all right, the quality is quite good although it could be better. :wave: The reason I didn't recommend it is because I had an awful experience with the seller I got it from on ebay, so be careful if you get it off ebay.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all being so helpful and your kind words!

I've found a single hutch that is 6ft x 4ft with an attached run, would this be ok even if just until I can get my dad/oh to build me a custom made one, as they get a lot of free range time when we're home (I only work 18.5hrs a week and have 2 children, so we're in the garden a LOT!) and they will have plenty of hidey houses in the run etc (at the mo they are in a 4x2 hutch/ 4 x 4 run combo incase you didn't see the first post with free range time, thanks to my stupidity at not realising the guidelines)

My other option is a 2storey hutch the same size, and attach a run to it somehow, i'm just unsure as to how i'd permanently attach the run as most fold up and I can't imagine the one I have now for my guineas attaching permanently to a hutch very easily!

Someone mentioned a 4x4 wendyhouse with a run attached, I take it it would be attached via a catflap or something.. is a 4x4 house big enough if we put shelves/ramps in as long as they have a run attached (and the free range time again)

Thanks again, I want to do the best for them, obviously, but I am restricted somewhat by space and definately by large amounts of money in one go! Which is why the top option, I can afford immediately, the others will take a bit of time unless I get lucky on auctions or something :p

I actually love that hutch and the idea of attaching a permanent run, they would of course be protected in winter/rainy/wet as they are now.

I just dragged OH to the garden and pointed out he wouldn't lose much more room than he has lost atm, if we built up rather than out and he wasn't adverse to it, but his DIY skills are somewhat lacking, so I now need to work out attaching the run to it lol.

Would that be suitable for my 4?

are they definatly outdoorsy buns? i assume al lare neutered how about them living indoors free range as a large group with dog beds adna litter tray area(no cage) and some hidey holes to go into? this could be a soloution maybe? then obviously yo ucan let tehm out free range in garden whenever you like too?(or have a lockable cat flap for them so can be locked open when you home but shut when you are out?

alternativly a play house maybe converted with a run attatched, or build an avairy prehaps?

you could buy two large 6ft hutches and connect them into an L shape that they could run between even better if they double tiered 6ft hutches? then have a large attatched run? and then have a seperate set up(or indoor set up) for the parents pair? x

Hi there, only just saw this post, doh!

I can't have them indoors, OH wouldn't go for that.. and we have a lot of electrical stuff for his work that we'd have to block off and I think they'd get a rougher deal than having their own space.. plus they are litter trained but the beggers tend to ignore their trays and go elsewhere lately!

I like the L shape idea, I don't think I could fork out for 2 x double tier atm, but if I had single tier I could obviously replace them in the future, if we built the run to suit.

I have a LOT of thinking to do, my main concern right now is to find a bigger hutch/run than the one I have, even if it's only temporary (I don't mind donating it to rescue once I can afford a bigger one!). So a double 6ft with run attached, i'm assuming, would be better than what they have right now.

Thanks for all your patience, everyone.

Back