• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which rabbits should i neuter?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I am taking one lot of my trio's in for neutering. It will either be Ama, lily and lucy or ava, athena and rose.

Ama is the oldest bunny i have, about 4-5 years old.
Lily, Lucy and Rose are about 3 years old
Ava and Athena are about 2 years old

I don't know which would be best to neuter first, in terms of which are most hormonal or likely to get cancer or which would be best for health reasons.

I also want to bond my neutered males who are around 2 with whichever group i go for. I've tried shadow and stripe with ava, athena and rose and it seemed quite successful.

Only thing is i think i may have a possible pasturella outbreak and i want to contain it. I have noticed lucy's eye run white discharge from time to time and shadow. The vets say its' nothing,but i'm not convinced, especially after they broke off my other bunnys teeth the other week.

I will put them on tiacil if anything develops and baytril.

So far ava, athena and rose have no problems, but this eye infection seems to be contagious, which is why the suspected pasturella.

Shadow had been in the same carrier as the poorly buns, which i think is where he may have picked something up, ( as unlikely as that seems), then lucy went on the same grass as shadow.

Abit of a longshot in my theory, but i'm concerned. Maybe the vet is right, but i'm still thinking maybe i'd be better to neuter Ama, lucy and lily first as they would go with shadow and stripe and if there are any health problems, it isn't spreading to rose ,ava and athena.

Or whether to neuter rose ava and athena and just keep them seperate and perhaps neuter paws so he can run with them as he has never had any health problems.

Ares has had runny eyes in the past but i sorted that , so i wouldn't want to bond him if there was any risk.

Blaze and patch are being treated at the moment with tiacil and baytril and sunny also, who i'm giving additional care and support because of his teeth.
I wouldn't attempt to bond any of these yet, although they are kind of bonding from being able to see each other, with each other in the shed.

So still not sure. I think i outlined the situation in a fairly comprehensive way. I don't know if anyone has any ideas based on this, what would be best to do for the bunnies. I would like them all to be bonded in pairs or groups, but that is just not possible yet and i still need to get through the neutering process with them all that i haven't done yet.

Thanks for any advice,
Ambience x

I would get the oldest Doe spayed first, as long as she is fit and well.

If you read my post on your other thread about 'Pasteurella' you will see that I think you are dealing with Dental Disease as a primary problem, the eye infections being a secondary symptom.

I'd then get the younger Does spayed if they are free of active infection. Dont forget that if you intend to get several Does spayed at the same time you need to be prepared for the post operative nursing care of all of them. Worst case scenario is syringe feeding and medicating several Does if they dont eat for themselves after surgery.

Thanks,

I will do ama, lily and lucy. If lucy does have the similar eye infection crop up and it is same as the others, will i have to wait to neuter her, or can she be done despite this.

Ambience x

Back