• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw at funny angle

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Hello all,
quick question re claws: our male rabbit's claw on his front 'thumb'
is sticking out at 90 degrees from the paw. There does not seem to be any damage to his fur or skin that we can see. He doesn't like us touching it but then he has never liked us touching his feet. As far as we can tell he does not seem to be in any pain (he is not favouring his other foot and seems to be behaving normally). Has anyone come seen this sort of thing before ? We are taking him to the vet this week.

My Inky has a weird claw at the front. It's his 'dew' claw and the vetrinary nurse just cuts it for me when we go.

Getting it checked out by the vet is a good idea, just in case he has hurt it in any way.

f3yfk5.jpg
Is this the position of the claw, if it is it is normal. Check the symetry with the other front leg.

Otherwise try and take a picture and post it for us to see.

Both my french lops have had this.Wills used to often drop off,not causing any pain.B's dont tend to drop off but it is held at a strange angle.If its not causing any problems,I wouldn't worry too much.:)

Thank you for the advice. Went to the vets and he thinks Binky caught his toe and has a loose ligament which means that the nail is growing slightly upwards which means it is isnt being worn down like the others.

He's had it trimmed and is fine and well, thank goodness.

Thank you again for all your advice.

Back