• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi!!

wabbit118

Young Bun
Hey!
I have not got my bunnies yet but i have adopted 2 gorgeous girls from a rabbit rescue called 'fat fluffs.' I had my home check today and i am just waiting to get the all clear so i can go pick them up :D They are 8 months old lionhead sisters and they are so gorgeous! i can't wait to get them home! I have a two tiered 6ft hutch and i was wondering what i could put to line the bottom as i read that rabbit wee can rot the wood? I have brought hay and straw for bedding but i was wondering is it ok to line the hutch with newspaper or is the ink poisonous to bunnies? If it is then what can i use? is it ok to use something like bath towels and then put straw on top? Help pleaseee!
Thanks
Emily

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Congratulations on your pending new arrivals , looking forward to seeing photos :D

My buns are indoors but I know alot of members here use lino or lino tiles to protect the hutch floor.

I've used newspaper for years and so far had no ill effects, but it's always well covered with hay :)

Hope that helps?

:wave: Welcome!

I have outdoor hutches which are lined with no-slip lino - very easy for cleaning! And my boys are very good and wee in their litter trays too :)

Thanks!! I'll pay a visit to b&q or focus then and do abit of DIY :D with the help of my dad of course lol
I will put piccys on very soon!

Emy

Hello & welcome :wave:

Definitely use lino, I personally find it better than tiles as there are no gaps for the wee wee to get into :roll: Then get a litter tray (an old washing up bowl works well) line the base with newspaper and fill right up with yummy hay. I just empty the newspaper from the bottom am & pm & top up with fresh hay. Very quick & easy :D

Buns tend to like eating while they go to the loo and so by putting the hay where you want them to "go" you'll soon get them litter trained :D You could get a hay rack and put it above their litter tray also. One of my foster buns sleeps, eats and poos in his litter tray (even though he has a nice soft towel to sleep on) :lol:

Don't put hay anywhere else though or you'll confuse them :) only put hay where you want them to pee & poo :D

ps - give a couple of carpet places a call & I bet you'll get a roll or two of lino for free. Just tell them you're taking a couple of rabbits from a rescue and you want it for their hutch :D

Thanks Fluffers! I have already got a hay rack and i brought two cat litter trays :D haha bless them! I will give some carpet shops a call tomorrow then and see if i can charm them lol if not then i'll definatly buy some anyway!
Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks Fluffers! I have already got a hay rack and i brought two cat litter trays :D haha bless them! I will give some carpet shops a call tomorrow then and see if i can charm them lol if not then i'll definatly buy some anyway!
Thanks for your help everyone!

You might find that unless they're the extra deep ones they might not be big enough and they wee over the edge :roll: Also - you'd only need one litter tray, they should both be happy using the same one but you could put one in the run too I guess :D

Back