• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More complications

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Ok well been having few issues with my rabbit since her emergency spay op and some stupid vets advice well it was time for her stitches to come out today so we removed them and then to my horror and the vets the wound just burst and poured out pus. it was awful and i swore and screamed and panicked not good qualities in a vet nurse but i swear their has been no signs that this was building no swelling no signs of discomfort the wound looked good she's now had to go through an other operation and now has a drain in situ but i'm at a loss it means i have to keep syringing food, buster collar and antibiotics and pain relief i'm so stressed i can't even begin to explain.

how long do wounds usually take to heal? were now about 10/12 days down the line. How much longer will this take i'm at my wits end

:shock: oh my goodness. None of mine have ever needed stitches out, they were just sutured - I think this is a better technique for rabbits in general because of their thin skin. A sutured wound is meant to take about 10 days to heal, not sure about stitched. I would say you are back to the 10 days from now?

Has this ever happened to you or your vet before?

Poor, poor you, and your poor bunny. Sending her lots of healing vibes and you lots of hugs x

surprise surprise but it's never happened to any other owners or their pets!! it always happens to staff pets :roll: my usual vet is on holiday so all her treatment been done by another vet my normal vet would have used under the skin sutures so their would have been nothing to pull but as it was an emergency i couldn't wait on my original vet but it was my vet that took out the stitches and she was horrified aswell and can't understand why skin sutures were used in a rabbit that has form for chewing everything in sight

I really don't know what to suggest, I'm sorry :( my rabbits Jasmine and Daphne opened up their spay wounds last Saturday night, Jasmine pulled out her intestines, Daphne only got down to the muscle.... they had their 10 day check today (10 days from the reopening of the wound, not the actual spay) and the cones are off, they got the all clear. So I'd guess you're looking at about the same?

I know 10 days doesn't sound like long but it has felt like forever, so I know how you feel :( xxxx

no she had a mass in her uterus suspected cancer these complications all stem from the fact the vet firstly put in skin sutures and secondly removed the collar so she pulled ou all the stitches and opened herself right up

no she had a mass in her uterus suspected cancer these complications all stem from the fact the vet firstly put in skin sutures and secondly removed the collar so she pulled ou all the stitches and opened herself right up

Sorry, I remember now :oops:

Was she on abx prior to today ?
If not did the Vet take a wound swab today ?

yes she's been on baytril for 12 days but thank god for my original vet she's taken a swab and sent it to the lab and have swapped to septrin(trimethroprim) in the mean time as my vet is worried about a resistance to baytril and obviously we just wait for the results

dealing with the wound drain is my biggest problem at the minute trying to keep her clean is a nightmare and i'm panic-stricken about flystrike

Aww so sorry she's had a setback, rabbits are very complicated things and hide illnesses/infections very well.

None of my buns have had probs with stitch abscesses (which is what that may have been), but our vets now don't use stitches on the outside, they use disolvolving stitches inside then skin glue on outside.

For cleanliness, frangrance free baby wipes are a godsend :)

One of our dogs managed to munch her way through the stitches and we were on the way to spaghetti junction had we not seen her, all in 10 mins :shock: She had to go back in for another op to trim the skin and re-stitch :(

Hope she's on the mend soon x

Back